Peter
Salt Spring Island

India

Any suggested Itineraries for 2 weeks in South India ?

Looking for backpacking style with a few comforts thrown in. My budget is US $75 per day (excluding transport). Single traveller. 

Brianna from Brooklyn

I would suggest starting in the state of Kerala, Kochi has a very frequently used airport and getting a direct flight from Mumbai will be rather inexpensive. Tour Fort Kochi, take a tour of the backwaters and have some seafood near the Chinese Fishing Nets in the historical area of Fort Kochi. I would move to Varkala for some time at the beach and onwards to the hillstation and tea fields of Munnar, it's stunning and very memorable. I would also try and fit in Pondicherry. It will take you back in time. The architecture is unlike any other in India, there is a very calming energy. Spend some time in the Grand Bazaar and the Tamil Nadu Home Tahdco Quarters for a taste of South Indian culture. Don't leave Pondicherry without a visit to the Sri Aurobindo Ashram

1. Kerala (state)
  2. Kochi (city)
  3. Fort Kochi (attraction)
  4. Varkala (city)
  5. Munnar (city)
  6. Pondicherry (attraction)
  7. Grand Bazaar (attraction)
  8. Tamil Nadu Home Tahdco Quarters (attraction)
  9. Sri Aurobindo Ashram (attraction)

Erik from New York City

I would suggest focusing on the state of Kerala, starting with the beautiful cliffs and beaches of Varkala, then a cruise up the backwaters of Alleppey, followed by historic Fort Kochi. If you'd like to chill out in a scenic hill station, visit Munnar and check out the tea plantations. Pondicherry is an interesting former French colony. While there you can stop by the nearby Auroville to learn about "The Mother". It's a little out of the way, but if you are interested in temples, archeology, and a relaxing countryside atmosphere, I would also suggest Hampi.

1. Kerala (state)
  2. Varkala (city)
  3. Alleppey (city)
  4. Fort Kochi (attraction)
  5. Munnar (city)
  6. Pondicherry (attraction)
  7. Auroville (attraction)
  8. Hampi (attraction)