Jillian

If you could spend NYE anywhere in the world, where would you go?

OK Trippy. The sky is the limit. If you could choose anywhere in the world to take in the New Year, where would you go and why? Looking to make a trip of it this year and open to ALL destinations, price ranges, and cultures. Go!

L from Wisconsin

Paris, France!

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

I can't speak from experience, but I've heard the place to be on New Year's Eve is Jost Van Dyke Island, in the British Virgin Islands. I mean to do that one of these years.

1. Jost Van Dyke Island (island)

Bruno from Russian Federation

Jillian, it depends a lot on what you like... Secluded vs w/ crowd... City vs countryside... Party vs peaceful... But if you like to have fun... Brazil is the best place for NYE. The date has a very strong importance for brazilians... And everyone tries to go to the coast to celebrate midnight near or at a beach. If money is no object, my recommendations are Brazilian Atlantic Islands: Fernando de Noronha and Atol das Rocas Reserves, or Trancoso, both in Northeast Brasil. The historic towns and incredible beaches around these places give you lots of daytime opportunities and the NYE parties on the sand are quite spectacular... with music and fun well after the first rays of sun have peeked above the ocean's horizon. Have a blast!

1. Brazil (country)
  2. Brazilian Atlantic Islands: Fernando de Noronha and Atol das Rocas Reserves (attraction)
  3. Trancoso (city)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I'v been in Rio de Janeiro and is wonderful. Everybody should do it at least once in a lifetime.

I'd like to go to New York City and Sydney some day.

1. New York City (city)
  2. Sydney (city)
  3. Rio de Janeiro (city)

Josh from Baton Rouge

As Peter pointed out, Jost Van Dyke Island at Foxy's Tamarind Bar is the second most popular NYE destination other than NYC.  I hope to that one day but will probably hang out at Soggy Dollar Barinstead, as it is my favorite.

This next NYE will be spent in Bangkok, so that should be exciting!

1. Jost Van Dyke Island (island)
  2. Foxy's Tamarind Bar (attraction)
  3. Soggy Dollar Bar (restaurant)

Heidi from Colorado

final answer.  :-)

Rebecca from Manchester

Edinburgh! Even though its so close to home for me (England) I have never been and the Hogmany event they have for New Years seems pretty legendary! 

1. Edinburgh (city)

Mike from Boca Raton

Sydney, Australia is where I'm planning on ringing in 2016. I just need to get a few more things into place first. I flew to London last year to celebrate 2015 and it was incredible. I lucked out and found a room available at Marriott County Hall, which included front row access to the incredible fireworks display at midnight. I would love to do London again this year, but I don't want to find myself trying to recreate last year's celebration. I figure a new destination for New Year's Eve allows me the chance to create new, special memories.

1. Sydney (city)
  3. Marriott County Hall (hotel)

David

Buzios, is/was the best NYE I've sent in my entire life. You ask me why: The weather, the inexpensive hotel/pousada, the beach at night, especially at midnight when all locals -I mean thousands of people, traditionally wearing all-white or yellow clothing, stepping over seven waves and throwing the long-stem white lily in the water for good luck, and after that roaming the island on a lovely parade drinking, laughing, singing and listening to loud music until dawn.

1. Buzios (city)

Kenny from Falkirk

1. Princes St (neighborhood)
  2. Edinburgh (city)

Chip from Missouri

I guess I am a bit different when it comes to this. Even with a "sky's the limit" budget I want to spend NYE with great friends. Be it a backyard porch, a sailboat or even an apartment. It is the long time friends that make it special.

Rena

1. Antarctica (continent)

I'd love to do New York City, watch the ball drop from the comfort of a nearby penthouse or rooftop -- wouldn't that be swell?

1. New York City (city)

Haroun from Tanzania

Moshi On the roof of Mount Kilimanjaro wouldn't be a bad idea, or perhaps a quiet bush meal at the Serengeti.

1. Moshi (city)
  2. Mount Kilimanjaro (attraction)
  3. Serengeti (region)

Hello Jillian! I would choose Quebec City,  Victoria or Ganges. Both cities are spectacular on NYE. If you choose Quebec spend the night at Fairmont Le Château Frontenac. If you decide that British Columbiais your destination, I will definitely recommend Hastings House Country House Hotel. Lovely places at all times!

1. Quebec City (city)
  2. Victoria (city)
  3. Ganges (neighborhood)
  4. Fairmont Le Château Frontenac (hotel)
  5. British Columbia (region)
  6. Hastings House Country House Hotel (hotel)

Sydney Harbour from a boat.

NYE in Dublin is not bad either!

1. Sydney Harbour (attraction)
  2. Dublin (city)

Mallory from Berkeley

I would say Paris

Nardine from Tamworth (England)

Cook Islands First to see the sun

1. Cook Islands (country)

Steve from Mechanicsburg

The biggest one on my bucket list is probably Reykjavik. The constant fireworks is supposed to be epic (do a Youtube search and see for yourself). I love that country, and I really want to go back and experience NYE there.

1. Reykjavik (city)

Polly from Washington, DC

I wish I could join friends in Amsterdam for New Year's Eve this year, but the timing doesn't work with my Christmas travel plans. I imagine it will be an amazing party though!

1. Amsterdam (city)

Gonçalo from Lisbon

Madeira, just check it out.. .The most amazing show in an incredible environment.

1. Madeira (region)

Stuart from Redondo Beach

Berlin as I was fascinated by it in a recent visit and want to return, and just for something really different on NYE.

1. Berlin (city)

Ed from Winnetka

Laughlin, NV

That way you get to celebrate twice.

1. Laughlin (city)

Kalamazoo

I have been in Los AngelesLas VegasChicagoDetroitFlorida and no where is as fun!!!!

1. Kalamazoo (city)
  2. Los Angeles (city)
  3. Las Vegas (city)
  4. Chicago (city)
  5. Detroit (city)
  6. Florida (state)

Alicia from Austin

I would go to Tasmania for the Taste of Tasmaina Festival and then road trip around the beautiful island. There's so much to do and see!

1. Tasmania (region)

It used to be the international date line "two for one." I believe some companies still do it. It's where you celebrate at some place on the west side of the date line, and then hop on a plane to celebrate on the other side of the date line. Now, it's probably some remote place in a jungle in Latin America on a boat, or a house rented with friends, with good wine, and a bunch of fireworks.

Edna from Paris

New Year's Eve is my favorite holiday! 

If you're into the whole fireworks & huge crowds scene, this is my bucket list:

Sydney  (I've been twice! http://expatedna.com/2015/02/06/sydney-new-years-eve-2015-from-best-seats-in-sydney/) -- by far the best party of the big cities. 

Reykjavik  -- So many fireworks, so little regulation! SO many good vibes. Ties with Sydney for my favorite NYE!

Edinburgh -- for Hogmanay celebrations, the torchlight procession, and an authentic rendition of Auld Lang Syne. This is where I'll be this December. 

A note on Paris -- As someone who lived in Paris, I always hear from disappointed tourists who expected a bigger show. Last year they started shooting fireworks along the Champs Elysees again but generally there haven't been "official" firework shows and it may be more low-key than expected, especially compared to its big city counterparts. 

http://expatedna.com/2015/02/06/sydney-new-years-eve-2015-from-best-seats-in-sydney/

1. Sydney (city)
  2. Reykjavik (city)
  3. Edinburgh (city)