Kushal
New Delhi, India

Iceland, Reykjavik

Places to eat and visit in Iceland

I am planning a 5 day holiday to Iceland in Sep 14. I would like to know what is some of the best food ( I am a non vegeterian ) to eat there and some of the best places to visit during my stay there. I like to rough it out and see more natural things rather than concrete cities.

Thanks

Bridy from Vancouver (Washington)

In a week, you could make it around the ring road, but it would be too rushed to enjoy it.  Pick up a copy of "The Rough Guide to Iceland."  It will walk you through several things to see in Reykjavik and more importantly, point out all the sites to see along the ring road.  

Head south / east from Reykjavik - you'll see Þingvellir (rift in the continental plate), Mýrdalsjökull Glacier (I stumbled across and joined a couple hour hike on a it - well worth it!), Jökulsárlón Floating Icebergs (where many movies are filmed), Skaftafell National Park, a million waterfalls (Gullfoss , Þórsmörk) and unbelievably spectacular scenery every single minute!

Go as far as you can in 3 1/2'ish days before turning around.  Be sure to stop at the Blue Lagoon (near the airport) for a soak - it's a huge 3.5' deep hot spring.  All aches and pains will vanish in record time!

Bring your own sheets / pillow / sleeping bag.  I was really happy I had my sleeping bag since some places I stayed charged extra to supply bedding.  Also, for a country with 24 hours of daylight, their curtains are useless - bring an eye mask to ensure a good sleep.

Food outside of the 'big' cities is limited.  However, you'll see many places which sell fuel and snacks and

1. Reykjavik (city)
  2. Þingvellir (attraction)
  3. Mýrdalsjökull Glacier (attraction)
  4. Jökulsárlón Floating Icebergs (attraction)
  5. Skaftafell National Park (attraction)
  6. Gullfoss (attraction)
  7. Þórsmörk (attraction)
  8. Blue Lagoon (attraction)

Jill from Ottawa

This is more of an answer for things to see and do near Reykjavik. Explore a volcano with Inside The Volcano. You have to trek 3 km's over a lava field to get there and I found it a great introduction to Iceland. Try a super jeep tour to visit all three sites in the Golden Triangle, GeysirÞingvallavatn and Gullfoss. The Blue Lagoon is always fun to soak in geothermal hot springs. There are so many waterfalls all over Iceland, be sure to check out Seljalandsfoss and Skógafoss. You can always go on a tour whale watching, horseback riding, rafting, caving, scuba diving, snowmobiling, etc. Honestly, there are so many things to see and do close to Reykjavik, I wrote up two separate articles for my blog (Top 8 Sites To Explore In Southern Iceland and Adventure Guide to Iceland) if you care to check them out! Hope you have a great trip!

1. Inside The Volcano (attraction)
  2. Geysir (attraction)
  3. Þingvallavatn (attraction)
  4. Gullfoss (attraction)
  5. Blue Lagoon (attraction)
  6. Seljalandsfoss (neighborhood)
  7. Skógafoss (attraction)

Alex from London

Hi Kushal,

Have a read on my blog, I visited in Winter but many of the eating spots are equally valid, as well as activities.

http://www.aforkinlondon.com/post/70208877721/iceland

You won't spend a lot of time in cities as there aren't many big ones.Reykjavik is actually a great hub to explore from, it is a small town and close to natural attractions.If you are into outdoorsy activities, you might enjoy:

1. Snorkling in the Silfrastadhir Rift (the continental divide between Europe and North America)

2.Lava caving (my favourite)

3.Glacier hiking

4. Sea kayaking

5. Hiking... anywhere, the landscape is stunning

I remember using Artic Adventures tours, they have an office in Reikjavik main street and are very good. Albeit in summer you will be able to catch loads of busses and group tours that may be more economical.

I have also heard (but haven't tried) that the country's hiking trails and National Parks are well organised with basic but well-maintained night stop cottages along the way. May be worth to investigate hiking facilities and camping/lodge sites.

Iceland's tourism board is very helpful with questions so it may be handy to visit their website and directly contact if you have some specific query in mind: http://www.visiticeland.com/things-to-do

As for food, do not miss the Þrír Frakkar restaurant in Reikjavik!

Have a wonderful time!

AJ

1. Reykjavik (city)
  2. Silfrastadhir (city)
  3. Iceland (country)
  4. Þrír Frakkar (restaurant)

Trish from London

Iceland is rather small, so you'll get the full feel for the country in 5 days.

Try the SeaBaron for lobster soup - cheap as chips, simple, and super good. It's in the heart of the city. 

Blue Lagoon - amaze. You'll probably want to go more than once while you're there. 

You might be there a bit early, but if you can, catch a Northern Lights tour. They are incredible.

1. Blue Lagoon (attraction)

darcy from Aldershot

I would second comments on the Sægreifinn (Sea Baron), down by the harbour, simple, but as fresh a fish place as you will ever find. Loads of good restaurants around Reykjavik.

I skipped the blue lagoon, try the Secret Lagoon near Fludir. It is open during the day, or they do night tours if you don't have your own transport, it's smaller and less commercialised than the blue lagoon.

1. Sægreifinn (restaurant)
  2. Secret Lagoon (attraction)
  3. Fludir (city)