Rahul
Dubai

Rahul from Dubai asked

Must-do activities in Iceland in August

i am planning a trip to iceland with my wife and would welcome any good hotel recommendations in reykjavik, and also some must-do experiences/tours. we want to go for one week. i dont think seeing the northern lights would be possible, but we are looking at volcano diving, blue lagoon, hot springs, glacier walks, etc! any more tips would be great!

Iceland   Reykjavik

JJ

One of my favorite things to do in Iceland is to rent a car and drive around in the countryside. There are amazing things to see just about everywhere.

In Reykjavik, I've really enjoyed my stays at Room With A View Luxury Apartment Hotel. It's in a great location on the main shopping street, Laugavegur, in the center of the city. It's essentially a hotel with full apartments instead of rooms so you can save money on food by doing some grocery shopping. It's nicely decorated and many of the apartments have living rooms. The views from many of the spaces are spectacular and they have a hot tub on the roof that is quite enjoyable. If you want the perks of a full-service hotel though you might be disappointed as they don't have room service or bellhops and housekeeping is limited.

I've also stayed at the Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavík and have been very happy there as well. I highly recommend finding a hotel in the vicinity of the two, in the 101 district, as it's the cultural, dining and nightlife center of the city.

I've never stayed in them but the Icelandair Hotel Reykjavík Marina and Kex Hostel are cool looking places and Hotel Borg and 101 HOTEL could be good options too.

Outside of the city, I've been returning to the Snæfellsnes peninsula for many years and really like staying at Hótel Búðir, the area around there is my favorite place on Earth.

A few other things I've enjoyed while driving around the country are the waterfalls DettifossGodafoss Waterfall and Glymur and driving through the Westfjords was also quite breathtaking.

Amazing recommendations, JJ! Thanks for sharing!

Rahul
thanks a ton JJ! I will try and do as much of all this as I can!

1. Room With A View Luxury Apartment Hotel (hotel)
  2. Laugavegur (attraction)
  3. Radisson Blu 1919 Hotel, Reykjavík (hotel)
  4. Icelandair Hotel Reykjavík Marina (hotel)
  5. Kex Hostel (hotel)
  6. Hotel Borg (hotel)
  7. 101 HOTEL (attraction)
  8. Snæfellsnes (attraction)
  9. Hótel Búðir (hotel)
  10. Dettifoss (attraction)
  11. Godafoss Waterfall (attraction)
  12. Glymur (attraction)
  13. Westfjords (attraction)
ambika from New York City

hey rahul, i recently had a wonderful experience staying at 'Our House - Guesthouse' in Reykjavik. the lovely owner, Bedda ensures that you have absolutely everything you need during your stay, and the location is SUPERB. staying here over a larger hotel felt like a more authentic icelandic experience! 

as far as activities, i'd highly recommend renting a car and touring parts of the island on your own- snaefellsnes is definitely worth at least a day trip!

enjoy my favorite, Iceland :)

Rahul
thanks so much Ambika! will just have a look at Our House and see if I can book it.

1. Our House - Guesthouse (attraction)
  2. Reykjavik (city)
  3. Iceland (country)
Kate from London

I went in November but regardless of the time of year, I would suggest renting a car for a small day trip down the West coast of Iceland to Vík í Mýrdal... Also, hiking through Hveragerdi (I believe that is what it was called, it is where my phone tells me I was located...) is in the top three on my list of most spectacular travel memories. The whole country is stunning though, you won't be at a loss for things to do and see!

1. Iceland (country)
  2. Vík í Mýrdal (attraction)
  3. Hveragerdi (city)
Christopher from San Francisco

It's an easy drive from Reykjavik to Vík on the southeast coast (maybe 3 hours, depending upon year). Vik can be a nice base to explore from; Skaftafell is only 1.5 hours east and along the drive from Reykjavik you'll pass Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, and the Sólheimajökull glacier. The coast at Vik is beautiful — great hiking at Dyrhólaeyjarviti, black sand beaches — and it's the location of the three trolls rock formation. 

1. Reykjavik (city)
  2. Vík (city)
  3. Skaftafell (attraction)
  4. Seljalandsfoss (neighborhood)
  5. Skógafoss (attraction)
  6. Sólheimajökull (attraction)
  7. Dyrhólaeyjarviti (attraction)