Kaman
Hong Kong

Iceland

Is the blue lagoon really that amazing, or overrated?

Is the blue lagoon really that amazing, or overrated? How many days should I spend in Iceland?

Will from On The Road

I pretty much agree with Alejandro Mie’s answer below - in his words, the Blue Lagoon is a ‘had to be there’ place that became disappointing as the crowds turned up. In my words, you do have to see it - it’s an interesting place and you’ll most likely enjoy it - but don’t expect to come away feeling like it was a life altering experience. I think the Blue Lagoon is neither amazing nor overrated, only that it can be very touristy and fake in many ways.

I propose you go there at the beginning of your trip to check it off your list, and then once you begin touring around Iceland you should aim to find yourself a much more authentic and memorable ‘hot pot’ experience. There are many of these to be had around the island, and depending on which one you find you may very well wind up having a life altering experience after all.

Have fun! :-)

1. Blue Lagoon (attraction)

Joe from Brooklyn

Ahhh, the comfortable steam of Blue Lagoon spa.  It's just as amazing as you might think.  The natural silica mud mask is like no other skin treatment on the planet.
But be warned of one thing: like most other attractions in Iceland it is a significant bus ride away from anything else.  So if you go, plan on spending the day there.  They have food available for purchase and a lot of different pools of varying temperatures to hang out in.

1. Blue Lagoon spa (attraction)

Theresa from Hollywood

I personally felt that the Blue Lagoon was a lot of waiting for a relatively impersonal experience. Take a few extra days, get up to Akureyri, and explore the Diamond Circle and the Myvatn Natural Bath. It's beautiful and far fewer tourists make it up there!

ps I wrote a post all about the baths here: http://tremendoustimes.com/2015/02/06/all-about-visiting-the-myvatn-nature-baths/

1. Blue Lagoon (attraction)
  2. Akureyri (attraction)
  3. Diamond Circle (attraction)
  4. Myvatn Natural Bath (attraction)

Anne from Durham, North Carolina

I just got back from a week in Iceland and spent 5 fabulous hours at the Blue Lagoon.  I highly recommend that you purchase the Premium Package, which includes entry to the Blue Lagoon, use of a fluffy white bath robe, flip flops, one free drink in the lagoon bar, and a reservation time of your choice in the Lava Restaurant, which you can go to in your bathrobe.  I also bought a 20 minute in-water massage which was heavenly.  The silica mud is conveniently located in large wooden boxes in the lagoon and makes your skin feel baby soft.  You are required to shower before entering the lagoon and I strongly recommend that you cover your hair with the conditioner they have in every shower stall, especially if you have color treated hair.  HINT:  you don't have to brave the cold to enter the lagoon.  Once you leave the shower area, to the left is a section of the lagoon that is located indoors.  This indoor pool has a conveniently located door in the pool that you can open and then wade into the outdoor area. 

1. Iceland (country)
  2. Blue Lagoon (attraction)

I spent 16 days in Iceland, and I just scratched the surface.

About the Blue Lagoon - many people say it was disappointing. I went to the Myvatn Natural Bath instead, and really enjoyed it. It was perfect for relaxing after days of hiking and being on the go.

I also published something on my blog that might help you figure a few things out. Trippy is acting funny, so here's the URL: http://wanderingjustin.com/2015/03/my-quick-iceland-travel-guide/

1. Myvatn Natural Bath (attraction)

Steinn from Cünt, Elazığ, Turkey

I was born here in iceland and been here for 23 years, i'd say it's way overrated since it has been hyped up so much but at the same time, it has hype behind it for a reason even though i myself don't really see the reason to make a trip to iceland for the only reason of going to the lagoon but alot of people do. How long to stay? Depends what you're looking for i guess.

3-7 days is fine to see alot of the classic tourist attractions. However i'd reccomend to do the whole circle with 2-3 weeks to be able to go around without being in a constant rush.

Edna from Paris

I personally loved the Blue Lagoon -- but it depends on when you visit. I went in winter (end of December), and I timed it to go near closing time (around 3:30 pm). By 4 or 4:30 the lagoon had nearly cleared out.

By going when it was that cold and that late (relatively), it really felt like we had the whole place to ourselves, and to be surrounded by all the snow-capped mountains was magical!

1. Blue Lagoon (attraction)

Jenn from Arlington (Virginia)

Hi - in my opinion if you are looking to relax on your vacation it's well worth the price and touristy vibe. There are other natural hot springs you can explore in Iceland (Blue Lagoon spa 's water is from hot springs but the lagoon is constructed out of the lava rock and not naturally occurring) I spent a solid 8 hours there and loved every minute.  The next time I'm in Europe I'd actually consider flying through Iceland just to stop there.   As for the rest of your trip I'd say 4 days at a minimum but you could easily spend up to two weeks driving around if you're really into some of the amazing hiking and adventure activities.

1. Blue Lagoon spa (attraction)

Alejandro from Singapore

My take is that the blue lagoon is a -had to be there- place. I got there early (first one in) and it was amazing, a few hours later the crowd made it dissapointing. I would suggest to visit for 2-3 hrs. There is a hop-on/off shuttle service between the Airport and Reykjavik that stops in the lagoon making it ideal to visit the lagoon when you first get to Iceland or before you leave. 

1. Reykjavik (city)
  2. Iceland (country)