Ayesha
Buffalo (New York)

Iceland

Food in Iceland

I am going to Iceland this summer with two friends. We are going to see Reykjavik then rent a car to drive the whole Ring Road. My most important meal of the day is dessert, so if you have any suggestions on where to get good dessert in the country, let me know please! And if you know of regular food that one shouldn't miss I'd definitely like to know as well. Thank you!

Hjörtur from Copenhagen

Oooh, a woman of good tastes :)

There is an Icelandic delicatessy you must try, which is  skyr (a type of yogurt) with blueberries and cream. It is absolutely delicious. If you're in August or September, you can even just pick those blueberries yourself :)

All around the country you'll find things made of rhubarb and blueberries, pancakes with rhubarb jam and cream and cheese cakes. Skriduklaustur in the east of the country has a very nice cafe with excellent local Icelandic refreshments Local food is on the rise so you should be able to find something good at local guesthouses and farm holidays.

There are two farms you absolutely must stop at on your way around the country. Those are  Brunnholl farm, just west of  Höfn in south east Iceland which serves excellent home made ice cream and  Vogafjós, a barn with a café where you can sit with the cows at your side and enjoy some fantastic home made Icelandic farm food.

For more traditional food you can try  Þrír Frakkar restaurant in Reykjavik or if you want them with an interesting twist, I recommend the  Tapashúsið restaurant down by the harbour. 

To really spice up your lunch box before the road trip go to either Ostahúsið at  Skólavörðustígur where you get the best delicatessens or  Kolaportið Flea Market food market down by the harbour where you get more ordinary local food. When you've finished your lunch pack and are still only have way through the country, jump into the next store and get some "flatkökur" which you can put butter and "hangikjöt" on top. That is the traditional Icelandic lunch pack, as well as "skyr", which you can be in cans with a spoon and different flavours. The blueberry one is my favorite.

Oh, and must for the road is harðfiskur (dried fish) and butter, as well as a box of chocolates called lava.  

I'm sorry, but this reply is making me really, really hungry, so I must stop now and grab something to eat. Feel free to add any questions you might have as a comment to my reply.

Enjoy :)

1. Skriduklaustur (attraction)
  2. Brunnholl (attraction)
  3. Höfn (attraction)
  4. Vogafjós (restaurant)
  5. Þrír Frakkar (restaurant)
  6. Reykjavik (city)
  7. Tapashúsið (attraction)
  8. Ostahúsið (attraction)
  9. Skólavörðustígur (attraction)
  10. Kolaportið Flea Market (attraction)

Jónas from Kópavogur

You should stop at Hotel Geirland which is close to Kirkjubæjarklaustur and get the skyrterta or skyrcake. The best in the world. 

1. Hotel Geirland (hotel)
  2. Kirkjubæjarklaustur (city)

K.

Don't forget Akureyri! Lots of great restos and cafes there but my top pick is easily the 1862 Nordic Bistro in the Hof Cultural and Conference Center.

(Note: although restos/cafes in cultural establishments across the US are often notoriously overpriced and, um, not so good, it's decidedly not the case here. That said..Note 2: if you head to the Harpa Tónlistar- og Ráðstefnuhúsið í Reykjavík, bear in mind that there are two spots to grab a bite and you definitely want the one upstairs!) 

Back to Akureyri, the Bláa Kannancafe is a great spot for coffee and desserts.

1. Akureyri (city)
  2. 1862 Nordic Bistro (restaurant)
  3. Hof Cultural and Conference Center (attraction)
  4. Harpa Tónlistar- og Ráðstefnuhúsið í Reykjavík (attraction)
  5. Bláa Kannan (restaurant)