Adrian
Arad

Iceland, Grindavik, Reykjavik

Cheap accomodation close to Blue Lagoon.

I want to go with my wife and my child in Iceland for 7 or 8 days. 3 or 4 days, I want to go to Blue Lagoon. I want to know where is best place to stay for a budget travelers.

Penny from Dallas

Adrian, I recommend using Airbnb.com for budget accommodations. I stayed at a native Icelandic's home of for less than $80 / night and his home was very close to the main attractions in Reykjavik. The Blue Lagoon is very close to the airport, so I recommend you visit it on your way in to the country or on your flight out! Hope this helps.

1. Reykjavik (city)
  2. Blue Lagoon (attraction)

Kevin from Edmonton

From the way I'm reading the question it sounds like you want to stay at blue lagoon for 3 to 4 days? The Blue Lagoonis a spa and hot springs. Reykjavik is a 45 min drive away from the blue lagoon. There is a town Grindavik that is closer to Blue Lagoon. you can take a tour bus to the destination. You can also rent a car which is the easiest way to get around Iceland, and cheaper than taking the tour buses. I know some roads are restricted so be sure to check you can drive a passenger car to all the locations you are wanting to go to before deciding to rent a car.

1. Blue Lagoon (attraction)
  2. Reykjavik (city)
  3. Grindavik (city)

Jenn from Arlington (Virginia)

Hi Adrian- I recently stayed in an apartment in Reykjavik through the website www.airbnb.com.  The apartment we rented was for 6 people so that is much larger than your family needs, but I highly recommend airbnb.com in general for budget travel.  You can find a wide range apartments that are often cheaper than hotels. Reykjavik is pretty expensive, so it is nice to have a place with a kitchen where you can prepare some of your own meals. Bonus is one of the cheaper supermarkets.  A few other Iceland recommendations-  The Deli is a great pizza, pasta and sandwich shop that is more affordable. The address is Bankastræti 14.  I also recommend the flea market for purchasing woolen goods - Kolaportið Flea Market is the name, it's in a warehouse near the harbour. 

1. Reykjavik (city)
  2. Kolaportið Flea Market (attraction)
  3. The Deli (restaurant)