Shannon

I have a free airline ticket to anywhere in the world... Where should I go?

I have a free airline ticket to anywhere in the world. I have one week to travel. I leave in two weeks. Where should I go? Where would you go? 

My home base is SFO. I do need access to the Internet while I'm there. 

Ross from Fort Collins

well I would def do Asia, Australia or New Zealand. The only reason is because those plane tickets cost the most lol. If it's a free ticket go for something you normally wouldn't be able to afford! 

1. Asia (continent)
  2. Australia (country)
  3. New Zealand (country)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

South Africa. For 1 week I'd spend around Cape Town. Perfect place for the free trip. Amazing, lots to see and do, easy to navigate when there, etc.

1. South Africa (country)
  2. Cape Town (city)

Morgan from Redding, California

Generally I would say Japan or Sydney since those tickets tend to be crazy expensive, but one week isn't enough time to get over the jet lag. So: Rome.

1. Japan (country)
  2. Sydney (city)

Shannon from San Francisco

Thanks, Everyone. I decided to go to Portugal. It was a good time. 

1. Portugal (country)

Kristal from San Francisco

Hi Shannon, 

That sounds awesome! If everything is paid for I would go to one of the following:

Croatia

India

Vietnam

China

Greece

Austria

Have a great time!

-Kristal

1. Croatia (country)
  2. India (country)
  3. Vietnam (country)
  4. China (country)
  5. Greece (country)
  6. Austria (country)

Sri Lanka it's such a beautiful country and you could see most of the country in a week. Visit Kandy and the hill country, the ancient city of Anuradhapura visit a spice garden and a tea plantation. Climb Adam's Peak at night to descend as the sun is rising. Then go to Tangalle for a couple of beach days. Perfect! We stayed in Mt Lavinia, just south of Colombo and hired a car and local driver.  

1. Sri Lanka (country)
  2. Kandy (attraction)
  3. Anuradhapura (city)
  4. Adam's Peak (attraction)
  5. Tangalle (city)
  6. Mt Lavinia (neighborhood)
  7. Colombo (city)

Dee from California

I had one of those.  My criteria was: where would I never pay to go?  So that's how we picked.  Then my question to you is where would you never pay to go to--whether it was on your bucket list or not?  Hope you come back and tell us what you picked.

Pawan from Delhi

I would suggest India because of its diverse geography, diverse culture and rich heritage. There are wide variety of options and you can choose destinations as per your interest. It would be better if you go somewhere in November. Its a good season with some major festivals which can add up to your experience.

1. India (country)

Nars from Boston

Paris or Istanbul

For different food/culture/language/pace-of-life

2. Istanbul (city)

Nan from Perth, Western Australia

Iceland, Norway, New Zealand. Because they are absolutely stunning places. 

Iceland is probably still the most naturally amazing place I have been (been there in winter and summer and both amazing in their own ways). 

See my itineraries to Iceland and Norway

Iceland

https://www.pebblar.com/Trips/index/183

https://www.pebblar.com/Trips/index/184

Norway

https://www.pebblar.com/Trips/index/312

I am currently planning a trip for NZ, am pretty psyched about that!

Have fun wherever you end up!

1. Iceland (country)
  2. Norway (country)
  3. New Zealand (country)

jami from New York City

If you don't have  bucket list with places then sometimes the best thing to do is get out a globe, give it a spin and see where your finger stops. But think to your favorite movies, books, tvshow....where do they take place? Have you ever watched a movie and said I would love to visit? Even if its an alien planet there are plenty of places on earht that look like a alien planet. http://www.boredpanda.com/earth-photos-look-alien/

Warwick from Ponsonby

New Zealand, Internet access Is no problem here. Our country has everything you want from mountaints for skiing to beautiful sandy beaches, for swimming sailing, surfing great fishing. Plenty of shopping places cinemas theaters museums.

We are friendly people and welcoming. So why not come to New Zealand?

1. New Zealand (country)

Monica from Miami

Originally I would've suggested Australia, the Maldives, etc... But truthfully one-week is not enough time for travel, jet lag and tour. So then I would say Spain, perhaps the islands of Ibiza, fly into Palma de Mallorca Airport etc...

1. Spain (country)
  2. Ibiza (city)
  3. Palma de Mallorca Airport (attraction)

Gonçalo from Lisbon

I would say Australia, Vietnam, Brazil.. But that's me. It depends of what are you looking for. 

1. Australia (country)
  2. Vietnam (country)
  3. Brazil (country)

Tonya Russ from Charlotte

Where ever you choose read the fine print.. See if staying in the connection city is allowed.. then choose the airline that you like their city that they're based out of.  Also, check and see if flying into one city is allowed and flying home out of another city..  Maximize your free ticket!!!

Scotland. To the tip. Stay in the inn there.

1. Scotland (country)

Julie from Milan

Hi Shannon! Try Iceland- Definitely a different view than Cali. An expensive ticket so good to use. Plus it is only a 7 hour difference which is doable. Would definitely be a memorable 7 day trip. Have fun

1. Iceland (country)

Shahil from Durban, KwaZulu-Natal

With a free ticket, I'd choose a destination that is very expensive to get to from your country. I would assume Central Asia and most of Africa should be on your list. I would love to visit somewhere like Mongolia or Bhutan or Kazakhstan or, in Africa, somewhere like Cape Verde or Chad

1. Mongolia (country)
  2. Bhutan (country)
  3. Kazakhstan (country)
  4. Cape Verde (country)
  5. Chad (country)

Prerna from London

Bora Bora without a doubt! 

1. Bora Bora (island)

Stephen "Sven" from Florida

May I suggest that you choose the Maldives over Florence. Especially depending on the time of the year that you go. Florence is nice in the Spring time going into summer. When it is not to hot and you do not get a wiff of the polluted water and the pigeons everywhere. The Maldives or the Federated States of Micronesia are the best route. Tropical winds, endless miles of beaches, crystal blue waters, some of the best swimming and snorkeling in the world. Food that is out of this world, relaxing massages and a carefree environment. If you go there you will not feel like coming back. This is the underwater hotel Rangali Islands Resort in the Maldives.The elevated Baros Maldives Resort

1. Maldives (country)

Cristian from Bogotá, Colombia

It's a pretty tough question, but I think I would choose Auckland, New Zealand.

1. Auckland (city)

Maria João

Portugal First because it's my country and it's beautiful, and then, because a week you can view much of Portugal, because we are a small country and the distances between the points of interest are small !

1. Portugal (country)

With one week to do the trip I think you should focus on a city as you will otherwise spend too much time transporting yourself.

Some really nice cities that are good to spend a week in would be Rio de Janeiro Cape Town and Istanbul.

1. Cape Town (city)
  2. Istanbul (city)
  3. Rio de Janeiro (city)

Amanda from Canmore

Hey Shannon! 

This is a tough question. I go back and forth between places I have been and places that are still on my list. My boyfriend and I actually talked about this question on our travel podcast. His answer was China and I said Easter Island or Madagascar. If you are interested, have a listen: http://traffic.libsyn.com/theworldwanderers/55_Travel_Questions__The_Answers_to_Your_Not_So_Frequently_Asked_Questions.mp3

Where are you thinking of going?! 

Cheers!

Amanda 

1. China (country)
  2. Easter Island (island)
  3. Madagascar (country)

1. South Dakota (state)

Veronica

The Maldives or Florence, Italy.

1. Maldives (country)

Colleen from Brooklyn

Tasmania is one of the more magical remote places I've been.  It combines a kind of Pacific Northwest style food scene (think locavores galore, farm dinners, tasting menus), CA wine country (some of the most exciting sparkling wines are being produced here now) and a crazy diversity of holy-freaking-shit landscapes, from the wildly hued rocks of the Bay of Fires to the towering evergreen forests.  Plus they have one of the coolest contemporary art museums in the world--located in a subterranean bunker, accessible only by boat with a killer restaurant and hotel. Combine with some time in Australia--Sydney, the Great Barrier Reef, Ayers Rock, the Great Ocean Rd--for a total bucket list trip.

My other suggestion would be to go to Botswana - combine a trip to the Okavango Delta for some of the most incredible wildlife viewing with a flight to the remote salt pans of the Makgadikgadi, where centuries old banyan trees rise up from these almost holographic, lunar expanses.  Then maybe chill afterwards in Cape Town - hit the beach, do some wine tasting.

1. Tasmania (region)
  2. Ayers Rock (attraction)
  3. Great Ocean Rd (attraction)
  4. Botswana (country)

Depends on your interests, where you've already been... etc..

I'd say French Polynesia or Bora Bora.

1. French Polynesia (country)
  2. Bora Bora (island)

Gary from Winston Salem

Shannon, I love Costa Rica.  It is 5 or 6 hours (or so) in the air from SF.  Inexpensive and easy to book short notice. Amazing cloud forest, national parks and wonderful Pacific side beaches.  Fly to San Jose International Airport (Juan Santamaria), Alajuela Costa Rica, rent a small SUV and drive to La Fortuna to see Volcano Arenal for a couple nights, make your way around Lake Arenal headed to Tamarindoa great beach town for a wonderful week !!

1. La Fortuna (city)
  2. Tamarindo (city)

1. Istanbul (city)
  2. Prague (city)