Sandra
Cedar Park

Huntsville, Cedar Park

need travel directions

Needing directions to drive from Cedar Park Tx to Huntsville Alabama to enjoy the Fall season with family. Would like to stay in great B&B's on the way & on my return trip. Need recommendations for restaurants and sights to see along the way.

Travel time would be 3 days going to Huntsville and again 3 days travel time on my return. I would leave TX on October 19th (date of departure) and on the 29 of October (date of departure), leave Alabama, driving back to Cedar Park, Texas. First time user so thanks so much!

Dave from Houston
The two most logical routes are; 1/Dallas -Texarkana (Texas) -Memphis -Huntsville. This route passes near Hot Springs, Arkansas which might make a nice stop. Memphis has a lot going on. Compare their famous BBQ with the Texas hill country BBQ you're familiar with.
2/ Dallas -Tyler -Shreveport -Vicksburg -Jackson (Mississippi) -Birmingham (Alabama) -Huntsville. Vicksburg has extensive Civil War historical sites, old south plantations, etc. Great place to stop if you're interested in History. Jackson is nice too. I would take one of these two routes going and the other returning.

1. Dallas (city)
  2. Texarkana (Texas) (city)
  3. Memphis (city)
  4. Huntsville (city)
  5. Hot Springs (city)
  6. Tyler (city)
  7. Shreveport (city)
  8. Vicksburg (city)
  9. Jackson (Mississippi) (city)
  10. Birmingham (Alabama) (attraction)

I can only really speak to sights to see. From Cedar Park you can either go north to Fort Worth or east to Houston.
I am assuming that you are familiar with Houston but you might go a little farther east to the Beaumont area where there is a town called Kountze. There is a B&B near there but I have not stayed in it.  We did eat at what I think was an interesting place called Mama Jack's. But what I went to Kountze for was the Big Thicket National Preserve which has three different kinds of carnivorous plants.
From there you can venture east to Baton Rouge. You can tour the old capitol, the new capitol (you can go up in the new capitol for free) and go to the LSU Rural Life Museum which has various kinds of houses from pioneer times in Louisiana.
After that go to Birmingham (Alabama). They have a great botanical garden and there's also Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark. Also near here is the Talladega Superspeedway and then on to Huntsville.
On the way home go by way of Memphis (lots to see and lots a places to eat), Hot Springs (where you can go the National Park spa for free) and then Fort Worth Stock Yards.

1. Cedar Park (city)
  2. Kountze (city)
  3. Big Thicket National Preserve (attraction)
  4. Baton Rouge (attraction)
  5. LSU Rural Life Museum (attraction)
  6. Birmingham (Alabama) (attraction)
  7. Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark (attraction)
  8. Talladega Superspeedway (attraction)
  9. Huntsville (city)
  10. Memphis (city)
  11. Hot Springs (city)
  12. Fort Worth Stock Yards (neighborhood)