• Sara Brinton
  • "How to keep 4 kids happy on airplane?"

Sara Brinton

Seattle, Washington

How to keep 4 kids happy on airplane?

We're planning an international trip with our 4 kids who are between 5-11. Any ideas on how to keep them entertained, comfortable and happy on a long flight?

• Sean Kelly

Hi Sara,

Years ago I was on a flight to the west coast. Due to an overbooking mishap I wound-up sitting next to an eight year old boy, while his parents sat a few rows behind us with his two younger sisters. My first thought was, "I'm screwed!" However, that couldn't have been further from the truth.

The boy sat and stared at me with a Cheshire cat grin. Finally, I introduced myself, and he told me his name was Jason. I asked him if this was his first time on an airplane. He said it was, I decided to take advantage of that. We studied the safety cards together, listened to the safety announcement intently as a team.

Then, I did what I could to recall my days as a neighborhood baby-sitter, and brought that to bare. We played Fighter Pilots as the plane took off. We played What Do They Do; making up short bios for each person who passed by us on the way to the lavatory. Being back in the day when you could still get playing card on an flight, we played acey-deucy for pretzels. I listened to his plans for eventual world domination, and we toasted the same with some cola.

Periodically, his mother would come by asking Jason if he was OK. Eventually he tired of her interruptions and told her sternly, "Mom! I'm talking to my friend Sean!"

His mother said, "Jason, you should call him Mr......", suddenly realizing she had no idea what my name was.

I calmly reassured her, "My friend do call me Sean, Ma'am."

Jason nodded in firm agreement and turned his attention back to me.

During the flight, Jason turned out to be no problem at all. In fact, he was easier to travel with than some of my adult friends. As we prepared to disembark, Jason and I shook hands and wished one another a pleasant journey.

In the terminal, Jason's father approached me and asked what I did for a living. It was banking. He then asked me how many children I had. It was none. He then asked, "Then how the hell did you do it?"

"Do what?", I asked.

"Keep him calm all that time. He's hell on a family trip!" He walked away in disbelief, as Jason's mother came up to me thanking me profusely. I told her it there was no need for thanks; was cool, and that he was cool.

My sister has used a technique that worked well for her. Several days prior to their flight, she and my niece would go to the store and buy one of those children's activity books. After purchasing it, my niece was not allowed access to it, or even look at it until after the plane left the ground. By that time she was so focused on it, her attention was occupied for hours.

Among other things I've heard is to include children in preflight settling-in rituals. Let them help sanitizing surfaces with disinfectant wipes. Go over the safety card and announcements as a family.

Also keep in mind that the change in air pressure that can cause discomfort to an adult, can cause maddening pain to a child. As adults we understand what's going on. A child only understands their in pain. Gum and snacks go a long way in alieving this situation.

I don't know how you feel about video games, but perhaps....

If you're taking an overnight flight you'll have sleepiness on you side too. Maybe forgoing naps that day can work to your advantage.

Finally, don't forget liquor. Not for the children, but for you!

Happy Travels!

• Janelle K.

Janelle K.

I would NOT recommend any adult travelling solo befriending a kid like that. In the USA it is advised never to speak directly to children you don't know. American kids are taught from an early age to be afraid of strangers, and as well-intentioned as you may be, there is also bound to be someone else in the vicinity who will jump to the wrong conclusion about your intentions. · (0 likelikes)

• Sean K.

Sean K.

I was already seated when his parents sat him next to me. It wasn't like I approached a child in the park with a bag of candy! I am an American, and I was an American child. I WAS taught that there were bad people in the world. I WAS taught that I needed to be careful, and not to put myself in dangerous situations. I WAS taught to not let strangers tough me. I WAS NOT taught to automatically fear anyone I didn't know! This child's parents were within eyeshot the entire flight. At any time mom or dad could have switched seats with him. At any time mom or dad could have asked someone seated closer to them to switch seats with their child. At any time mom or dad could have asked to switch seats with someone closer to their child. Yet, they didn't do any of these things. That tells me they must have been fairly comfortable with the situation. That is all that mattered! Perhaps it was because we were in a plane, surrounded by people, many of whom were constantly walking by. As far as traveling solo is concerned, that shouldn't factor into this at all. Face it, Ian Bradley and Myra Hendly worked as a team, and they're certainly not the only ones! As far as other people's conclusions are concerned, I'm inclined to assume most people thought I was the child's relative. If all I do is worry about what others are going to think, then believe me, that is ALL I'll be doing. 24/7. · (0 likelikes)

• ·
    • ·

Send Sean a Thank You Note