Jonathan
Manila

How far ahead should you buy airline tickets?

I'm planning on a trip to the US from Asia in early 2016. Is there any good advice for how far ahead I should buy my airline tickets to save as much as possible, and does the answer depend on whether I'm flying economy or business class?

Ross from Fort Collins

56 days before you fly is the golden number, but there's no rules in this game lol! If you find it cheap buy it!

Patricia from Petaling Jaya

Shop by season. Do you have a rough date as to when you would be coming? As a general rule in Asia, January and February are the most expensive, especially during Chinese New Year season. I would recommend at least 6 - 8 months, but it also depends on which airline you plan to use. 

If you are travelling within Asia, budget airlines usually have some sort of promos every few months. Sign up for those news letters and decide when you want to travel. Hope this helps!

James from Calgary

I usually start booking flights 6-7 months before the departure date, for a trip near the end of the year usually around June. 

Yoana from Santa Ana

6 - 8 months in advance. The closer you are to the date you're going, the more expensive they tend to be.

Marco

The industry sweet spot is 54 days.

Meir from Tel Aviv

The basic idea is: the earlier you know what you want  - the better for you in terms of cost. Flight tickets get to be more expensive as you get near to departure date - in ANY class/group.
BUT, you have to bear in mind that there are various groups / classes in flight tickets. The earlier you book your flight the more flexibility you may want to have (in case you are forced to change plans...) But then, flexibility costs money. The more flexible you want your ticket to be (like changing destination or departure date, canceling etc.) the more it will cost. 

SO what you really have to do is consult with your travel agent, and find the right formula to optimise your deal - cheapest deal on most flexible ticket . If you plan to fly during high season, holidays etc. 6 months ahead is not to early,,, so you best start planning and booking already!

Post bby Meir Jacob, founder of Trips for Photographers 

ronald from Roanoke

good rule of thumb is to buy your tickets at the earliest.

airlines offer the cheapest seats firs when they become available. after that the prices go up as you approach the departure date