Adina
Bucharest

Adina from Bucharest asked

How do you usually travel?

I am doing research right now for the project that I am working on and I would really appreciate your answers.

My question is: how do you usually travel ( single/ with partner/ family) and what are your difficulties when planning a trip?

Many thanks in advance. 

Gina from Minneapolis

My husband and I travel together. We're lucky that we each found someone who has the same tastes and preferences, so that makes things pretty easy. 

The biggest planning challenge is the limitations that work puts on our travel time. When constrained to two weeks, maximum, it's impossible to see everything we want to see. It's sometimes a heartbreaking exercise. 

Keith from Bowness-on-Windermere

With my wife usually. Main difficulty is deciding on where to go/what to do that we both agree on.

Teresa from New York City

I mostly travel with my partner, I have traveled with my sister and a small group of friends.  The biggest issue these days is finding the right flight at a reasonable price.  I can always make everything else work once that is sorted.

Adina
Thanks, Teresa. Your answer is really helpful.

Jp from Bend

Hi Andia,

I usually travel with my family. Family style lodging is always difficult to find. It is very difficult to find a hotel that can host a family without breaking the bank ( affordability) and comfort. I am now finding it easier to use groupsoursing sites like airbnb and Trippy to help find great locations and accommodations. 

Best, 

John

Adina
Jp Chavez, I totally get your point. I was asking you this for the website that I am working on with my team. It's called FamilyVacation (https://familyvacation.com/). Hopefully you will find it useful. Any feedback is encouraged! We really want to create a product that makes your travelling experience more pleasant.

Debra from Amesbury, Massachusetts

I usually travel to Europe by myself, but with a travel agency that I've used 5 times called: Gate1 Travel. This is a great company that takes care of all my needs as a solo traveler.

After my last trip with a now ex friend, I have determined it is better for me to travel solo. The ideal travel plan involves a week or so of solo travel on each end of the trip and a meet up with friends for about a week somewhere in the middle. The hardest thing about traveling alone is the cost of a room, especially in Europe. It is so much easier to split a room and the cab fare when you travel with a friend. But on balance, the friends made and experiences had when you are forced to get out there a little bit as a solo traveler make it, in my opinion, the best way to travel.

Elliott from Houston

Adina,

Might sound selfish, but at this point in my life, traveling alone is the best. I'm able to be agile, pivot quickly relative to environment, cheap, no arguing, fast lines, space and time to think, and able to stick to exact plan I laid out.

Adina
I perfectly get your point! Sometimes I feel like travelling solo , too. I was asking you this for the project that I am working on. It's called : https://familyvacation.com/. I would appreciate any feedback if you have some available time. Thanks a lot!

Michael from San Francisco

I'd say 80% of the time I'm traveling with a friend or significant other.  The other 20% I'm traveling solo.  

I'm not a backpacker, and I don't like to rough it, but I don't like to waste my money on lavish rooms knowing I'm only going to be there to sleep.  I always try to find a place centrally located so getting around is easy.  If you try to save a few bucks staying far away, you might just end up making up the difference in cab fair.

I pack very light, assuming I'm not spending time anywhere that requires thick warm clothing, I can normally fit everything into a carry on roller.  I try to pack all shirts to be able to match all pants. I wear my thickest or heaviest pants and shoes as well as my thickest jacket on the plane since that helps to save space in my luggage.

The only real difficulty I have, when traveling to a new foreign place, is getting situated.  Getting to my hotel/apartment and getting a data card for my phone.  Once thats taken care of, I'm golden.  Having a working smart phone is always key for me, since its got maps and web search.  Put a pin or star on where you're staying, and feel free to roam, since you'll be able to find your way home.  Don't forget an extra battery pack for your phone!

Finding things to do, or see...that where trippy.com comes in mighty handy.  My last trip to Italy was done following useful ideas from the trippy community.

Adina
I really appreciate your answer, it's for the website that I am working on ( https://familyvacation.com/) Your comment is really useful. I like the fact that you travel smart up to every detail. It's important to carry only important things with you, not extra stuff.

Nam from Bangkok

I'm solo traveler.

My difficulties when planning a trip are varied.

In case of hostel is not available, I have to stay at hotel that have to pay more for room. 

Some world heritage sites where I've focused are not popular and hard to find information from guide books, travel websites, travel experts and even the locals. But it's seem really challenges getting there!

James from Calgary

I mostly travel with family which most of the time is no more then 3 people. Most of the cities we visit are just 2-3 day stopovers. The biggest issues are mostly with public transport. For some places like Hong Kong it's easy since the MTR is very easy to access and runs quite frequently. But for Tokyo is much more complicated since there's not just one train company.

Sometimes finding an good affordable hotel can also be a bit difficult since most hotels near tourist attractions like TST in Hong Kong are expensive so we have to find a hotel with easy MTR access to TST and the airport.   

Elizabeth from Schenectady, New York

By motorcycle (my Harley) or by car.

Mandy from Berlin

I really enjoy traveling alone at the moment. The last years I went to FuerteventuraNorth KoreaUnited KingdomIrelandPortugal ... - all on my own and I really enjoyed it!
I wrote about it on my blog: http://movingroovin.de/warum-ich-gerne-allein-reise/ (in German)

Some trips I take with friends which I enjoy a lot, too. But solo traveling gives me a much deeper experience... It's not just about the experience in the different countries, it's also about being on your own, reflect and enjoy the moment. 

1. Fuerteventura (city)
  2. North Korea (attraction)
  3. United Kingdom (country)
  4. Ireland (attraction)
  5. Portugal (attraction)
Steve

Hello, I usually travel with my long term Girlfriend and teenage son. We probably head half the time to European destinations. Although we have also gone to Las Vegas, NYC, Alaska & Hawaii in the past.  

But when we travel to Europe. I usually book the hotel for the night I land and take off in the appropriate cities, sometimes two nights if I like the city. Like Berlin & Copenhagen I would book two nights. But not Frankfurt. I try to plan part of my trip using the wonderful rail service Europe offers. Usually a Eurail pass. Specifically when traveling between large cities. Automobiles can be a pain to drive or find parking for in large cities. But when I get to the countryside. I'll rent a car. When I went through the Normandy area of France and acrossed Poland. I rented a car. Which was great, because I got a intimate look at how the peoples of those areas live. I shopped at small local stores and actually ran acrossed a small local festival while I was in Poland. In Normandy there were numerous museums and historic areas that would be hard to reach otherwise.  

I also try to learn a dozen or so words at least for the places I am visiting. This may be proublematic when visiting numerous countries on one trip. But from my experience. If I at least make the effort in their native language. They tend to be more willing to help.......no matter how bad I butcher it. I've had people tell Me, it's OK You can stop, I speak English. Me and My Son speak some German and My Girlfriend speaks some Italian. So that has been helpful. Helpful phrase I seek out are Excuse Me, Thank You, where or what is? How much, do You speak English. I prefer to travel with a backpack. Which if I normally carry a 40 litre backpack of stuff. I buy a 60 litre. I don't like to check my bag leaving on a trip. I've had the airlines lose 3-4 bags. Which sucks to get somewhere with nothing to wear or brush my teeth. So I pack a bag so I can carry aboard. Then when I buy things on my trip. I fill the extra 20 liters of space with trinkets and soveneurs. I check the bag for return trip. Because if they lose it that way. I've always got it , sometimes it takes up to ten days. But no worries then, I'm home. 

After I land I have a booked hotel. Before I leave. I plan my trip with differnt variables. I'll book a night from the destination before. Usually only a night, but I ask if it is available for more nights if I decide to stay longer. It's not any fun to book 3-4 days in a city with only a days worth of sites. The tourism institutes from the cities always try to sell there city as the best place with the most to see. But I have found when I get on the ground it is differnt. Once when I went from Antwerp to Luxbourg. I found that they were having a Waterloo reinactment of the battle when I got to Brussels. I sometimes don't book my hotels until I am on the train to destination. When I traveled to Germany & Austria over Christmas and New Years. I actually booked all trains & hotels. I was worried about availability with the holidays. But normally I just use one of the many hotel aps to book before, right before. I don't usually go to hostels. But when I went through Scandinavia. I found they were equivalent to hotels in other parts of Europe. I would do it if traveling alone, but it could be awkward when traveling with Family.  

I don't travel like this when I have gone to other places mentioned above. They were usually destination vacations and the transportation available wasn't as acess able as in Europe.  

I hope this is helpful:)

Alay from London

I usually travel with friends or girlfriend. My longest trips have been with my current girlfriend (of 8 years), and have included a two year work-travel global trip. When travelling with friends it has mostly been 3-8 weeks over summer.

I rarely travel alone but when I do its normally for short periods at the beginning or end of trips with friends. I use the time to watch and think, contemplate and get some writing done. Sometimes travelling alone, even for short stints, allows you to see and experience so much more. Less distractions of the familiar.

Regarding difficulties I rarely find any. Not to sound too wanky but when it comes to planning trips there's very little of it that seems a chore. I never let myself take things for granted, there's literally billions of people in the world who have never and may never leave their own country, so for me to be able to just stick a pin in a map and go there is something I will always be grateful for.

I don't plan too much in advance, preferring to hit the road and see what happens. Word of mouth over guidebooks any day, though I do like the history sections of Lonely Planet - good to know something of the place you're about to invade.

Booking places to stay in advance is sometimes an issue when travelling in high season or to small towns with a lot to offer - Aguas CalientesYangshuo; Majuli Island.

And visas can be troublesome, particularly if you haven't done your research. 

Beyond that I love planning trips, its what makes me the happiest.

1. Aguas Calientes (attraction)
  2. Yangshuo (city)
  3. Majuli Island (attraction)
Roberta from Carlsbad (California)

I take cruises because it includes all my lodging, meals and transportation expenses and usually covers lk multiple countries.  it gives a quick overview of each port and it's highlights.  you the can determine what countries you would like to explore more I depth.  there a huge cruise ships for the oceans or small river boats more intimate slow travel.  I love both.  The Danube cruise for the river cruise is highly recommended or the Mediterranean cruise which covers Italy, France and Spain For larger ship.  

Laura from Buenos Aires

I usually travel with a friend and we have almost the same interests so no problem there but I've traveled with other friends and the most dificult thing was to select the lodging because I prefer to spend little in that to save money to do other things but they want services that cost more and we always argue about that. 

Suz

I always travel with my best friend - my boy friend. 

If we stay in driving distance we also take our dogs. 

If we go to Europe we go with his daughter and boyfriend. 

Almost all the places we go are trades with home exchange or home link 

We have stayed up and down California by beautiful beaches. 

We have traveled all over Europe and never paid for lodging even using their cars! 

How do we pick 

We have a priority list of places of interest plus people write us with beautiful invitations that sometimes we just can't pass up!😎🌴✈️ 

Airfare is a lot of work 

And we do slot with aMX

Lawrence from New Hampshire

I usually travel alone, because I like to find inexpensive hotels, and I don't want my more luxury-dependent friends complaining that the shower is down the hall. I've had some luxuriously large accommodations whose only downside was plumbing as far away from the room as it is in my own bedroom at home.

I also have begun traveling with only carry-on luggage. The only time I check a bag is when coming home laden with gifts and souvenirs.

Laurel from Calgary

I usually travel with my husband. Because I do all the planning, my main difficulty is trying to make sure I take his likes and dislikes into consideration. But since I did all the work, if he doesn't like something, he just puts up with it :-)

Bob from Naples (Florida)

Traveling with my wife and usually meeting up with friends. Biggest problem is usually packing & dealing with the 50 lb. limit. In addition, I'm usually the one prior to the trip in charge of planning the itinerary.

Cindy

I do all types of travel. Some solo, some with my sister and some with my kids. It depends on where I'm going and if it will be expensive.  

My sister and I plan. And we really don't like tour companies. We usually like to just get our airfare and have a list of things to do and wing it. Sometimes we will reserve hotels 1-2 days ahead to allow flexibility.  

If I can, I will do road trips especially if there are a lot of us. Airfare gets out of hand. My mom often will take us on family trips so we end up cruising or doing a tour. Otherwise we do our own thing. I prefer solo but with my sister is the next best. When my kids are older that will be fun and we'll do more global things.

Roxanne from Montreal

I guest it depends on where you are heading. In Europe, you can easely find single rooms in smaler hotels or Inns ( a smaller room with a smaller bed ). But do you need a large room with large bed ? You will spend your time out and about anyway. 

Traveling in european cities is simple and easy. Urban bus systems and metros are very affordable and, most of all, beter organised then in the american continent.

To start, go for a city you have already seen but where you have much more to see. Or if it is a new city, go for one where you know the language at least for a minimum.

Go for it, solo traveling is very liberating... No restrictions because you are the onely one to plan for.

Manja from Zagreb

It is easier to travel with someone, but if there are no one that wants to go, we should not be stopped in our dreams. This is how I do it. Luckily, there is always someone who wants and can travel with :) Planning is useful and I do it always, at least for the first part of the travel...

I hope I helped you with your project with this answer.

Good Luck :)

Manja

We travel as a couple the majority of the time and sometimes with family. We're travelling with a cousin on our upcoming Iceland tour, we previously did a road trip with her, we got along great and wanted to see/do the same things so we figured why not explore elsewhere together. 

I tend to be very deal savvy, good with learning about the places we are headed and keen on planning things. Generally everyone else seems to be happy to let me fine tune things enough that we have a good idea of what we're doing and how to get the most out of our time. Usually the one thing we don't look into enough is good places to eat, we've  had some doozy dining experiences. 

Melissa

I always like traveling with someone, usually my spouse. When we get away together it is to explore new places.  

I also enjoy traveling with my children. They are always up for some kind of adventure. Extended family and friends are usually added into the mix as well.

Adina
Melissa, thanks for your answer. It really helps me to understand what people are looking for when travelling. I was asking you this for the website that I am working on called FamilyVacation ( https://familyvacation.com/) it aims to revolutionize the way poeple travel.

Lissa from Las Vegas

I travel by car and by plane, it just depends where I'm going.

Heather from Edinburgh

I usually travel with my partner.  I find it difficult to choose an airline because I hate budget airlines but sometimes they are the only option for a direct flight