Rylee
California

How do I start travel blogging?

I have been very curious on blogging. I've heard its a great way to travel and get some extra cash. My question is, where would you begin? Are some sites better than others?

Polly from Washington, DC

Hi Rylee! Honestly, I wouldn't advise getting into travel blogging to make money. Even the top-tier travel bloggers are pretty much just breaking even, and the market probably hit its saturation point a few years back. But... if travel, writing, and photography are things you feel deeply passionate about it, definitely start your own blog and see what happens!

First, I'd recommend you start following lots of other travel blogs - using an aggregator like bloglovin or feedly is a great way to keep up with all your favorites in one place. Identify what you really like and what you don't on other blogs and think about how you could incorporate similar ideas on your own blog.

Second, start your own blog. Wordpress is the industry standard, and it's easy to attach to a domain name (which you'll need to purchase if you'd like to be professional and earn money). Work out your own voice, figuring out your strongest points and turning them into unique and valuable information.

Third, social networking - you should have a dedicated presence on facebook, twitter and instagram. It's a great way to get hits and network with readers and other travelers. Some people have had better luck incorporating youtube and vlogging.

Finally, there are things like Google Analytics and SEO (which you'll need to learn about to monetize your site), paid courses/communities like Travel Blogging Success, and conventions like TBEX.

This probably sounds like a lot at once, but starting your own blog can also be a lot of fun. Once you start posting, be sure to link to your blog in your profile here! Sometimes it's easier to offer an outside link if you go really in-depth in an answer. With that in mind, here are a few links to people whose advice is probably way accurate than mine:

Adventurous Kate

Nomadic Matt

A Dangerous Business

Wandering Earl

Young Adventuress