Sarah asked

Best Route with Unique stops Houston to San Francisco

My husband and I are driving to Berkeley,CA to move out of apartment there and move back to our native Texas. We’re pretty laid back, like back roads, interesting & unique stops, budget friendly and, preferably non-chain hotels/motels. Love AirbnBs, quirky “Route 66” type motels, tepees, yurts, etc. Any recommendations for places to see or stay? Thanks

Houston (Texas) San Francisco (California)   Alpine (Texas)   New Mexico (NM)   Nevada (NV)   Los Angeles (California)   Bandera (Texas)   Hill Country (Texas)

Dave from Houston
The worst part of that drive is US Highway 10 from San Antonio to El Paso. Miles and miles of boring desert landscape and massive big truck traffic all the way. Take Highwy 90 from San Antonio to El Paso for a very scenic and interesting drive and skip the trucks. If convenient spend a night at the historic Gage Hotel in Marathon Texas along the way.

JaTeen and Gary

In general I recommend taking the Northern route Houston to Albuquerque, NM and then try and plan the day driving after Albuquerque during the day because it is BEAUTIFUL. It may be a detour but Sedona, AZ is amazing and of course the Grand Canyon. Then you could see the Hoover Dam, Las Vegas, Carson City, NV then Lake Tahoe then Sacramento and then San Fran. I know that's just a generalized route but it avoids the nightmare of El Paso, TX "border check point" and a lot of boring landscapes between Houston and El Paso. 

Raíssa
Do not do the I10 route, there is a small town inside Texas close to the border near Rosewell it's cute has several boutique hotels and is also a ghost town. I believe the town is called Hobbs