Valerie

Houston

What is your favorite restaurant in Houston?

Heading to Houston and I'm looking for the best restaurants to try while I'm visiting. Open to all types of food! What are your top places to eat?

Matt from Houston

The best restaurant in town is Uchi.  It's a bit pricey but amazing . Its an asian fusion restaurant with amazing service. I suggest asking the waiter/waitress to bring you his/her favorite dishes and then sit back and enjoy. Definitely a meal you will remember. Get a reservation ahead of time or drop in for their happy hour.

The Pass and Provisions is another great place. The place has 2 restaurants under one roof. The Pass is white table cloth set menu and Provisions is a more casual order atmosphere.  If you're looking for something fancy, I highly suggest The Pass (reservations are a must).  

Underbelly is a great option for ordering small shared plates. If you go there, I highly recommend the korean goat dumplings.

When in Texas you must have some mexican food. For authentic interior mexican food go to Hugo's, for coastal mexican cuisine try out Caracol Restaurant - Mexican Coastal Cuisine and for tex-mex El Tiempo Cantina Washington (go to the one on Washington Ave.)

A few of my other favorites are Down House, Liberty Kitchen & Oyster Bar, Benjy's and Roost Restaurant.  All of these places aim to please and I guarantee that you will not be disappointed.   

1. Uchi (restaurant)
  2. The Pass and Provisions (restaurant)
  3. Underbelly (restaurant)
  4. Hugo's (restaurant)
  5. Caracol Restaurant - Mexican Coastal Cuisine (restaurant)
  6. El Tiempo Cantina Washington (restaurant)
  7. Down House (restaurant)
  8. Liberty Kitchen & Oyster Bar (restaurant)
  9. Benjy's (attraction)
  10. Roost Restaurant (restaurant)

Robert from Nashville

Valerie,

When people think of Houston the first thing that generally comes to mind is Oil & Gas. That being said, it is an amazing food city that has been evolving it's options and continually focusing on innovation. 

A few things to keep in mind when your deciding where to go. The first thing is the abundance of influence the Latin community has had on food. To run a successful authentic or Tex-Mex restaurant you really have to stand out with your menu and quality. I listed three options below. Second, is that their is a very thriving food culture and this gives you really great options for other genres of food as well. I included a section below for a few options of those as well. 

Top Mexican & Tex-Mex

• El Tiempo Cantina Washington - Hands down the best in the city. They have a large menu but I would focus on their fajita options! - There are several locations around the city to choose from but the best location, in my opinion, is on Washington St. This will also put you in a very popular area for night life. 
  • El Real Tex-Mex Cafe - They are new to the scene and a top local's spot. They also have what they call "The Perfect Margarita" which allows you to choose from numerous top shelf ingredients. The kicker is that no matter what you want it's a set price! Another good area for night life with several very good options within walking distance of the restaurant. 
  • Berryhill Baja Grill- This is going to be your best value spot. Their go to is hands down the fish or shrimp tacos. Also, very good frozen margaritas. You can get out of there for less that $20.00. Also, several locations around town. 

Top spots outside of Mexican food

• Uchi - This will fall in the top 10 sushi spots in all of america. Great happy hour pricing but be careful cause it's easy to let your tab get out of hand. 
  • Brasserie 19 - French influenced with a season menu. Amazing variations from steaks to tradition French cuisine along with an assortment of daily specials and seasonal menu additions. Their bar is top notch and truly treats crafting specialty drinks as a profession. Great ambiance as well with a cool patio and it puts you in a very central location of town. Also, you can walk to Local Pour which is a locals hot spot with live music on the weekends. 
  • Brooklyn Athletic Club - One of the coolest spots in all of Houston. This may sound like a reach but I have to say they may have one of the best burgers I have ever tried ANYWHERE! Also, true mixologists along with crochet and bocci ball on the patio. 
  • Dolce Vita Pizzeria Enoteca - Great authentic Italian at a very reasonable price. Tradition stone oven. Located in a renovated house. Everything is made fresh and on-site including their sangria. Haven't had anything bad here. 
  • Poscol- Owned by the same people as Dolce Vita. Very different approach than most of the restaurants in Houston. Very traditional Italian tapas. Their meat and cheese combinations are a must have. Their staff is very knowledgable and can help you with the decision process. Also, daily off menu specials. Strong wine selection for a budget. 

Keep in mind that people in Houston eat out like it's their profession. If you are planning to make a trip to Brasserie 19 or Uchi I would call ahead or use  the Open Table app (normally you can actually get a better table time through it). 

1. El Tiempo Cantina Washington (restaurant)
  2. El Real Tex-Mex Cafe (restaurant)
  3. Berryhill Baja Grill (restaurant)
  4. Uchi (restaurant)
  5. Brasserie 19 (restaurant)
  6. Brooklyn Athletic Club (restaurant)
  7. Dolce Vita Pizzeria Enoteca (restaurant)
  8. Poscol (restaurant)

Tricia from Parma, Ohio

Love the restaurant Reef. Rated one of the best seafood restaurants in the city. Not your typical shellfish restaurant, but the best fish I've ever had in my life.

1. Reef (restaurant)

Kemkem from Malaga

If you get a chance, you have to go to Truluck's on Westheimer. Simply the best lobster and seafood. We had some crab soup knew time that my husband still talks about. It's pricy, but l think it is totally worth it. Texas Roadhouse is also good for meat, and less pricy. Have fun..

1. Truluck's (restaurant)
  2. Texas Roadhouse (restaurant)

Chris from Houston

You need to go to Churrascos. The food is South American and delicious.

1. Churrascos (restaurant)

nusheen from Houston

Black Walnut Café for brunch (french toast is amazing!)

1. Black Walnut Café (attraction)

Debbie from Oklahoma City

Uchi in Montrose, without a doubt! Delicious, innovative, and meticulously prepared dishes, professional and friendly service, and an overall wonderful dining experience. This is one of the best restaurants I've been to anywhere, not just in Houston.

1. Uchi (restaurant)

Kathryn from Saratoga Springs

Uchi. It's one of the top places in the city. It's sushi and Japanese fusion.

1. Uchi (restaurant)