Natalie

Houston

Texas, Louisiana and Nashville

Hello I'm flying from New Zealand to Houston planning on driving from Houston to New Orleans to Memphis then Nashville then to Dallas Fort Worth and Austin then San Antonio and back to Houston  

I have a month there. 

If anyone can offer any advice on stops along the way of that route or things I shouldn't miss it would be great. 

First time driving in America.

I think I would change the order of places a little bit so that you don't backtrack as much.  (Nashville first and then Memphis)  Sticking to interstates which are easier to drive, but you can get off and go on regular highways after you gain confidence.  Also I'm concentrating on places between the cities.

From Houston you can just take I-10 straight to New Orleans and this will be pretty easy driving.  This will take you through Baton Rouge (the capitol of Louisiana)  Baton Rouge is the other part of Louisiana - the   upland (redneck) part. there is a big statue to Huey Long there, but also nearby there is the LSU Rural Life Museum which is an open air museum with buildings demonstrating the architectural styles in the rural parts of the state.  Alternately, you could get off of I-10 at Lafayette and go to New Orleans through the bayou part of the state - New Iberia which has a beautiful mansion Shadows on the Teche (the Teche is a river) and also near there is Avery Island where Tabasco sauce is made.

After New Orleans, I would take I-10 along the Gulf Coast to Mobile  You might drop down and go to Dauphin Island (historic Fort Gaines) - you can take a ferry from there over to Fort Morgan (Alabama)  Along the coast from Fort Morgan you can see the lovely white sand beaches of the Gulf Coast (they look like snow) before you go back to Mobile.  From Mobile (which has a reconstructed fort) you can take I-65 right up to Nashville.  From Nashville it is a straight shot on I-40 to Memphis and after you leave Memphis, I-40 will take you west to Little Rock From there it is I-30 to Dallas, but I think you will enjoy a side trip to Hot Springs to see the baths.  After Dallas, it is I-35 south to Austin and San Antonio before you take I-10 back to Houston

1. Houston (city)
  2. New Orleans (city)
  3. Baton Rouge (city)
  4. LSU Rural Life Museum (attraction)
  5. New Iberia (metro area)
  6. Avery Island (attraction)
  7. Mobile (city)
  8. Dauphin Island (city)
  9. Fort Morgan (Alabama) (city)
  10. Nashville (city)
  11. Memphis (city)
  12. Little Rock (city)
  13. Dallas (city)
  14. Hot Springs (city)
  15. Austin (city)
  16. San Antonio (city)

Joe from Houston

Natalie,

What month will you be visiting? Do you have a plan on time per city? I then can give you some better ideas.

Joe