Leonid
Hong Kong

Houston

Best place to stay in Houston?

Hi - I am flying almost literally halfway across the world to Houston for a few business meetings and back after 3 days. I would really appreciate any tips comfort and location wise. Budget wise would be good to fit under $350/night. 

Sarah

Try Hotel ZaZa.  It's a really cool place and they have hotel cars that will drive you around the area for meetings etc.  Hotel ZaZa is in the museum district not far from downtown.  

As for restaurants, Houston is often an overlooked foodie destination but there's a ton on offer.  A quick google search will give you hundreds of options.  A couple important Houston spots not too far from Zaza are Uchi, Underbelly, and Hugo's.  These are more upmarket places but are well worth it to get a feel for Houston.

If you want steak or Mexican, I'm sorry... I have to disagree with the post above.  There are MANY great steak restaurants in Houston but I wouldn't include taste of texas.  Try Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse downtown or Del Frisco's Steakhouse in the Houston Galleria.  For Mexican there are many good places too, but the classic, well loved Houston spot is The Original Ninfa's on Navigation.  There are other spots called Ninfas that are chain restaurants - make sure you're going to the ORIGINAL on Navigation east of downtown.  Enjoy!

1. Hotel ZaZa (hotel)
  2. Uchi (restaurant)
  3. Underbelly (restaurant)
  4. Hugo's (restaurant)
  5. Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse (restaurant)
  6. Del Frisco's Steakhouse (restaurant)
  7. Houston Galleria (attraction)
  8. The Original Ninfa's on Navigation (restaurant)

Two best places to stay are Downtown (which has changed dramatically in the last 10 years or so) or the Houston Galleria area.  Both have plenty of fabulous restaurants and lots of hotels to choose from. If I had to pick, I'd tell you to stay downtown. You wouldn't need a car, you can rail to the medical center/museum/zoo area if you were feeling the need for some culture and you have most of the best restaurants and unique hotels in the area.

Great options to stay in downtown that should be in your price range include Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection, Magnolia Hotel Houston, Hyatt Regency Houston, The Sam Houston Hotel and Hilton Americas- Houston

1. Downtown (neighborhood)
  2. Houston Galleria (attraction)
  3. Hotel ICON, Autograph Collection (hotel)
  4. Magnolia Hotel Houston (hotel)
  5. Hyatt Regency Houston (hotel)
  6. The Sam Houston Hotel (hotel)
  7. Hilton Americas- Houston (hotel)

Vanessa

If you want somewhere central, Hotel Granduca Houston I've heard is great and I personally got a great spa treatment at Mokara Spain the Omni Houston Hotel. Hope this helps! 

1. Hotel Granduca Houston (hotel)
  2. Mokara Spa (attraction)
  3. Omni Houston Hotel (hotel)

Leslie from San Antonio, Texas

I live in Austin and travel to Houston several times a year for a long weekend trip and have always loved Hotel ZaZa - the hotel itself is stylish and sexy with a boutique atmosphere - with built-in entertainment in that it has a pretty active nightlife on the weekends at the bar and adjacent restaurant. I remember the service as always being good and the rooms are very comfortable and well-appointed.
It is also in the best part of Houston (in my opinion), near Rice University, beautiful parks & world-class museums (within walking distance - or you can borrow one of the hotel's bicycles), and many of the city's best restaurants.

1. Hotel ZaZa (hotel)
  2. Rice University (attraction)

Roger from San Marcos (Texas)

Hi my suggestion would be to focus on which part of H-Town you'll be staring. Like LA it is a fun & great city , but very spread out. It could be worthwhile to have a car available.** For food, can recommend Taste of Texas if you like steak, Guadalajara Bar & Grille  for high-end Tex Mex.

1. Taste of Texas (restaurant)
  2. Guadalajara Bar & Grille (restaurant)

Heather from Houston

1. Hotel ZaZa (hotel)

Ja from Canada

Hotel ZaZa is central, hip and cool. It maybe more than your price point but sometimes they have deals, specials so check their website. 

1. Hotel ZaZa (hotel)