Jaleh
Baltimore

Hostels v. Hotels?

As a recent graduate, hostels tend to be more in my budget than hotels. However, in some of the more affordable cities, I'm able to spring for hotels. I've found pros and cons to both options, but I was just wondering what option others prefer and why. 

the pros for hostels is that they are cheap and that you meet lot's of like minded people there, so they can be very good if you travel alone.

The cons about a hostel is that you have little privacy and you might end up sharing a room with someone who parties all night when you wanna sleep.

Pros about hotels is that you usually have good comfort and that you do not need to worry too much about leaving things around your room.

Cons are that they are more expensive than hostels and that you can be quite lonely in a hotel if you are a single traveler.

Ross from Fort Collins

It really depends on were you are in the world, and if you are a solo traveler. i have found that hostels have gone up in price a lot in the past years, and if you are traveling with someone a hotel can be less expensive. staying in a hotel will make it harder to meet like minded traveling buddies though.

In central america you can find great hostels that are more like private surf huts on the beach, not the european dorm room hostels. i think theses are my favorites. in spain we found that most hostels were 25EU per person! we decided to stay in pensiones (older historic hotels with private rooms and shared bath) this was in between hostels and hotels and was perfect.

Being a little older and married i find myself in hostels less and less but my budget hasn't changed, and we always get drinks at happy hour at the local cool hostel to find traveling companions and friends! this has worked well for us, we get the best of both worlds and a little privacy when we want it!

Jenna from Oakville, Ontario

This is a pretty good question! 

This is going to sound odd but I love hostels because they are usually very unique and affordable. HOWEVER, I need my space as a travel blogger because I'm always heavy into my work load which means I need privacy. I love hostels that offer private rooms so you get your privacy, a cheap rate and you're still making the 'backpacker' friends you would have in a shared dorm room. 

Here's my review on Hotels vs. Airbnb Accommodations 
http://giveforgranted.com/2014/07/from-shag-to-chic-air-bnb-vs-hotels/

B
est, 

Jenna 

Hannah from Portland

As a young traveler I think hostels can provide more than just a place to sleep. I've found that in hostels you have a better likelihood of meeting people and going on adventures together. Many times people are traveling alone or in pairs and welcome a fellow explorer to join in on their fun. I also usually look for hostels that include breakfast if possible. It may only be toast, orange juice, and oatmeal but it's one less expense each day.

The cons for hostels, in my opinion, are lack of privacy, shared bathrooms, and the occasional smelly person. Another possible con is that your things may be left in an area with others and you just have to trust that your fellow man won't take anything. I've never had a problem but it's something to think about.

The pros for hotels are generally larger beds, privacy, and perhaps a little luxury. My advice would be to start your travels in hostels and meet as many people as you can. Then, after you've had enough sharing, switch to a hotel for some r&r and maybe a little cable tv.

Happy travels!