Veronica

Honolulu, O'ahu

Best tours on Oahu?

We're staying in Honolulu next week, and I need some tour ideas to schedule! Would love anything adventurous (hiking, kayaking) or scenic (boat tours, dolphins, etc). We don't plan on island hopping at all for this trip. It's just me and my husband, so we're pretty flexible!

Courtney P. from Portland

Disclosure: I lived on the Windward side, so my suggestions lean heavily on that side of the island. :)

Kayaking from Lanikai Beach to the Na Mokulua islands is da best. Lanikai Beach is also a great spot for stand-up paddleboarding. It's simply the best beach on the island, IMHO!

Hikes I've enjoyed have been Maunawili Falls Trail and the Lanikai Pillboxes Hike. For the adventurous, the Haiku Stairs (AKA "Stairway to Heaven"). It's also pretty cool to hike the Old Pali Rd if you visit the Pali Hwy Lookout.

Stargazing at Makapu‘u Beach (and a good place to watch meteors if the time is right!).

Visit the dolphins at Sea Life Park Hawaii!

ATV and Horseback rides at Kualoa Tours. They also offer other types of tours (e.g. boat, jungle, movie/TV locations).

Speaking of TV locations, if you're inclined, there are a few LOST set tours out there, but I haven't gone on any organized ones, just self-guided.

1. Lanikai Beach (attraction)
  2. Na Mokulua (island)
  3. Maunawili Falls Trail (attraction)
  4. Lanikai Pillboxes Hike (attraction)
  5. Haiku Stairs (attraction)
  6. Old Pali Rd (attraction)
  7. Pali Hwy (attraction)
  8. Makapu‘u Beach (attraction)
  9. Sea Life Park Hawaii (attraction)
  10. Kualoa Tours (attraction)

lin from Honolulu

If you like Kayak tours, there are several self guided tours out of Kailua. I recommend paddling to the Mokulea Islands - just a short paddle from the beach and then heading over to Lanikai Beach for snorkeling. If you love food, Hawaii Food Tours is a great experience. It's a really fun day , they pick you up in a nice Mercedes van and take you to places in Honolulu you would never know about. Plus there's lots of yummy foods, tons of different stuff to try , and the guides are great.

Be sure to hike Diamond Head State Monument. You don't need a tour for that, and its a fantastic view. 

1. Kailua (city)
  2. Lanikai Beach (attraction)
  3. Diamond Head State Monument (attraction)

Kristen from Los Angeles

If you're going to have a car, download the phone app GyPSy Oahu. It's a GPS tour that will guide you all around the island at your own pace. It's great! You can decide to see exactly what you want to see and stop wherever you see fit, spending however much time you please at each stop. For only $8, it was extremely valuable. I saw some of Oahu's hidden gems and learned Hawaiian history along the way. (btw I blogged about it if you're interested in reading more about my experience with GyPSy.)

Also check out HawaiiDiscount.com for discounts on tours (and luau tickets). Vayable.com has some pretty awesome looking tours, but I didn't book far enough in advance. Their tours are limited and apparently pretty popular.

Sue from Daytona Beach

There is a wild dolphin swim out of Ko Olina Marina that we did for my b-day a couple years ago. Amazing time! Out in the ocean and wild spinner dolphins swimming around. Great video under water. They also will take you to snorkel in 2 other spots. http://www.koolinaoceanadventures.com/

1. Ko Olina Marina (attraction)

Dane

Kayaking from Lanikai Beach to the Mokulua  islands is da best. Lanikai Beach is also a great spot for stand-up paddleboarding. It's simply the best beach on the island, IMHO!

Hikes I've enjoyed have been Maunawili Falls and the Lanikai Pillbox. For the adventurous, the Haiku Stairs  (AKA "Stairway to Heaven"). It's also pretty cool to hike the Old Pali Rd if you visit the Pali Hwy  Lookout.

Stargazing at Makapu‘u Beach (and a good place to watch meteors if the time is right!).

Visit the dolphins at Sea Life Park Hawaii 

ATV and Horseback rides at Kualoa Tours They also offer other types of tours (e.g. boat, jungle, movie/TV locations).

1. Lanikai Beach (attraction)
  2. Mokulua (attraction)
  3. Maunawili Falls (attraction)
  4. Lanikai Pillbox (attraction)
  5. Haiku Stairs (attraction)
  6. Old Pali Rd (attraction)
  7. Pali Hwy (attraction)
  8. Makapu‘u Beach (attraction)
  9. Sea Life Park Hawaii (attraction)
  10. Kualoa Tours (attraction)

Mark from Tallahassee

It's been over 13 years since I was in Oahu so I don't remember the name, but look for a rain forest hike. It included a hike in the rain forest, in to the bamboo forest, and up to a peak where a radar installation was during the raid on Pearl Harbor. It was beautiful!