Jenifer
Berlin

Hong Kong

New Year's Eve in HK

I will be in Hong Kong for New Year's Eve (Dec 31), and would love suggestions on what to do or where to go.

I don't want to attend some big event that has tens of thousands of people, but I'd like to see the fireworks and go to some parties. Any recommendations greatly appreciated! 

Katharina from Hong Kong

I spent last New Year's Eve in Hong Kong and we rented a junk which usually is a traditional Chinese boat and watched the fire works from the water.

This was an amazing experience as we didn't have to wait with thousands of people at the waterfront for the fireworks to start and secondly it was not as crowded (with boats) on the water as expected and we had a fantastic view.

Usually you need at least 10 to 15 people to rent a junk by yourself but I know that there are some companies that sell individual tickets to junk parties. Here is a short article that I just found.

1. Hong Kong (city)

Brett from Eindhoven

One big question is your budget.  We did New Year's Eve in Hong Kong this past year. We had an 8AM flight on New Year's Day (OUCH) so knew we wanted to see the fireworks, but still get some sleep.  

We splurged for the night at a harbor view room and watched the fireworks from there (We stayed at the The Excelsior, Hong Kong).  Just be very certain you have a harbor view...and don't let them pawn off a partial harbor view room on you, as you may be facing away from the action!  

Many people do prefer to stay on the Kowloon side, but be sure to book early then, as the harbor view rooms, while already pricey, will get even more expensive and hard to find the closer you get.

Plenty of parties go on afterwards, and you can head out after the show and still enjoy the rest of the night.

1. The Excelsior, Hong Kong (hotel)

Dada from Hong Kong

Fireworks can be seen from both sides of the Victoria Harbour (about 500,000 people would be cheering from the boardwalk every year), popular places like Lan Kwai Fong is a bit suffocating, I would recommend Soho District Area, Lower Elgin St for more relaxing party, a strip of bars and restaurants there!  

1. Victoria Harbour (attraction)
  2. Lan Kwai Fong (attraction)
  3. Soho District (attraction)
  4. Elgin St (attraction)

Perla from Alexandria (Virginia)

Do you like casinos? Shows? You can go to Macau by ferry

1. Macau (region)