Sarah asked

Have 6 full days in Hong Kong arriving THIS WEEK - what to do?

Hi  My friend and i have 6 full days in hong kong arriving new years day 2015 - this week!!!. We'd like to do some unusual things, eat in some great places, and experience the real hong kong. We are prepared to travel up to 2 hours.  We're cultured, fun, trendy 40 year old women from London, so aren't looking to rough it. Plus, this time of year do we need to worry about mosquitos??!!

Hong Kong (China)

Alex from London

Hi Sarah,

No, you don't have to worry about mosquitos :)

Helga gave you an excellent and thorough answer so I will only add a few things.

In Hong Kong, and as mentioned, the Star Ferry is a must! I just ride it back and forth sometimes for the view... and peacefulness. Hong Kong is built on the sea so being in the water gives you a great sense of the city. A different option is to do a leisurely tour on a traditional Chinese junk boat -- touristy but I still quite enjoy it for the incomparable views.

A great day or overnight trip option is to the neighboring enclave of Macau.  It is less than 1hr by ferry and the city centre is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the first example of mixed European and Chinese architecture in the world. While Hong Kong is certainly impressive with its modernity and glass skyscrapers, Macau managed to retain its historic sites even at the height of development. I wrote a day trip guide in my blog you may find helpful: http://www.aforkinlondon.com/post/60974753888/guide-macau-heritage. It is a small city (in area) so easy to navigate and explore.