Ross
Fort Collins

Hong Kong

Going for work and need advice.

What's up trippy!? Been gone for a wile and have a question. I will be in Hong Kong and Shenzhen for 5 days and was going to piggy back my south east Asia Dream trip after. But the more I look into china the more I want to explore? My question is.... Should I stay in china or hit Mianmar and Thailand like I was planning at the get go?

Herman from Hong Kong

South East Asia is interesting in its own right.  China is totally separate.  Shenzhen doesn't represent much of China.  If you really want to explore China, you need at least a few weeks to explore 5-6 cities.  My suggestion is that you go for your South East Asia destination this time round and find more time to come back to China.

Nan from Perth, Western Australia

i think it will depend on what kind of things you are looking for and the time of the year (season will impact your experience more than you think). 

I lived in China when i was a child, and have been to quite a few different cities since moving to HK for work a few years ago. I have since travelled to almost every single country in Asia, and based on my experience, I would say hit Myanmar - it was an experience and more importantly it is one of the most recently de-sanctioned country in Asia so it is not as commercialised YET. So should go before it does.