Abigail
Hong Kong

Hong Kong

Day Trips from Hong Kong?

My boyfriend and I are moving to Hong Kong next year for six months. Obviously we'll explore the city, but can anyone recommend some day trips? We'd like to see the surrounding area. Thanks!

Vicky from Los Angeles

Lamma Island is only 20 minutes away from HK island by ferry and makes for a nice day trip. It's quiet and the island is easily explorable by foot (there are no cars on the island). Have dinner at one of the seafood restaurants by the water. If you dine at Rainbow Seafood, they'll ferry you back for free.  I also like Stanley on the other side of HK island for the laid-back beach and the market. If you're in HK in May, you can catch dragonboat teams practicing at the main beach to prepare for the Dragonboat Festival (which takes place usually in June).

1. Stanley (attraction)
  2. Lamma Island (island)

Mindi from Philadelphia

Macau is a fun day trip.  There's lots to see just by walking around, not to mention the casinos.  Lots of great architecture and Portugese food.  It's a relatively short ferry ride from Hong Kong

1. Macau (region)
  2. Hong Kong (attraction)

Annemarie from New York City

I second Macau. The City of Dreams casino complex is insane, with lights flashing and sensory tests everywhere. And over by the harbor you can find heavy portuguese influence like A Lorcha.

1. City of Dreams (attraction)
  2. A Lorcha (restaurant)

Zannnie from Tallinn