Cindy
Rochester (New York)

Hong Kong

Best seafood in Hong Kong?

I'll be in Hong Kong on a business trip in the spring, and while I'm there I'd like to try the best of Hong Kong's seafood- where can I find it? What will be in season?

Ruth from Broome

The best place is Lamma Island.  Catch a ferry from the Star Ferry Pier terminal.  Takes about 40 minutes.  Loads of great restaurant to choose from 

1. Lamma Island (island)
  2. Star Ferry Pier (attraction)

You'll be right in season for Chinese mitten crab!  They're little crabs with really big furry pinchers, hence their name.  Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of them (after being the States for so long, I'm used to huge Dungeness crabs with tons of meat), but I would say that it's a cultural bucket list experience.  The locals go seriously crazy for these little guys.  They're even available from vending machines on mainland China.  I would say that these crabs do have a special flavor and richness over Dungeness crabs. 

A good place to have them is Super Star Seafood Restaurant.  There are several of them in the city, but I listed the Nathan Road one because Tsim Sha Tsui is my favorite neighborhood.  If it's in season, they have a $50'ish per person meal where it includes a shot of Chinese whiskey and you get three mitten crabs.

If you're really on the hunt for the freshest and best seafood, do as Ruth suggests and hop on a ferry over to either Lamma Island or Lantau Island.  You wouldn't be at a loss for seafood spots to go to on either island.

1. Super Star Seafood Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Lamma Island (island)
  3. Lantau Island (attraction)

angela from Shanghai

Highly recommend this seafood bbq place in Sai Wan (15 mins from central by taxi) BBQ Shop

1. Sai Wan (neighborhood)
  2. BBQ Shop (restaurant)

Heather from Hong Kong

The Shun Kee Typhoon Shelter Seafood in Causeway Bay has great seafood. It's also a fantastic experience dining on an old fishing boat.

1. Shun Kee Typhoon Shelter Seafood (restaurant)

Dada from Hong Kong

While there a lot of seafood restaurants everywhere in HK, there are also a lot of tourists traps, even the locals would get trapped too! Best to visit these places with a local guide without paying tourists premium! 

Checkout Lamma Island or Cheung Chau

1. Lamma Island (island)
  2. Cheung Chau (attraction)