Michael

Hong Kong

9 hour layover in Hong Kong - logistics leaving airport to see sights?

Flying from NY to Sydney and have a 9.5 hour layover in Hong Kong. I've never been to Hong Kong so I'd love to see some sights outside the airport, if even just for a few hours. I am a USA citizen.

- Would I need to collect luggage and store it somewhere at the airport? (I will be ticketed all the way through).
- If I don't need to, is there somewhere to also store my laptop bag at the airport?
- From my research it doesn't seem like I'll need a Visa, is that correct?
- Should I expect any weirdness with security, re-entering?
- Any other advice in regards to logistics, or what I should expect at the border control in and out?

Thank you!

Claudia from New York City
Hi Michael,
The good news is a tourist visa is not required for US citizens. As for layovers, 9 hours is ample for a short look around Hong Kong . Here are a few things to consider before heading out for your short tour:
  • You don't have to worry about your luggage if it is checked through to your final destination. If your luggage is not checked through, there's a luggage storage facility in Terminal 1 at Level 5. Cost HKD12 per hour and HKD140 daily. Available from 5:30 am to 1:30 am the next day. Read more about it: Hong Kong International Airport. As for the laptop bag (with a laptop I assume), I won't leave it at the storage. I would bring it with me.
  • Make sure you have your boarding pass to the final destination and passport before you head out.
  • Airport Express is the most convenient public transportation from the airport to Central. The train departs every 10-minutes and only takes 24 minutes.
  • You'll have about 4 hours to enjoy Hong Kong before heading back to the airport. I would join a private tour to see as much as possible. Viator has a 4-hour private city tour
  • Make sure you have enough time for passport control and security procedures for your next flight. I would allocate at least 2 hours, not including travel time from Central to the airport.

1. Hong Kong (city)