Lark
Lancaster (California)

Honduras, Trujillo

Safety in Honduras

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the seriousness of the safety warnings about Honduras. The murder rates are extremely high and some headlines call it the most dangerous place in the world. My friend is there now and he loves it. He hasn't been very long though and I'm supposed to meet him there next month. We will be renting a room for 2-3 months in a house about 6 miles from Trujillo. I'll be coming from Costa Rica so we'll have to take a bus (a private one) from San Jose Costa Rica, through Nicaragua to Trujillo in Honduras. I'm used to reading safety warnings about basically every country but these ones stood out to me as more serious since the crimes seem to be significantly more violent in Honduras. Is it blown out of proportion in the media? Would you recommend going as long as we're sensible about not being out at night or drawing attention to ourselves too much? 

Matthew from Telford

Honduras is a very safe  place as long as you stick to some very simple rules. Don't go out at night, don't do drugs, don't start fights ect. Its very simple stuff. 

Most violence reported in the media is between gangs and tourists are very rarely targeted. 

Just use common sense and you will have a great time. 

:)

1. Honduras (country)

Byron from Granada (Nicaragua)

Been travelling to Honduras the last 5 years and has been never bad it is a nice country with lots of things to see and do, there are a high number of murder but is among the gang members just practice common sense and will be fine.

1. Honduras (country)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

I haven't been to Trujillo, however, the Caribbean coast of Honduras is generally much safer than other parts of the country.  

1. Trujillo (city)