salma
Singapore

Ho Chi Minh City

What's the best area / district to stay at in Ho Chi Minh City?

Looking for a central area that is convenient (location, food, safe) but not too hectic. Heard a lot about District 1. Any tips? Thanks!

Laura from Buenos Aires

Hi Salma, I went to Ho Chi Minh City last year and stayed in District 1 which is hectic but also very well located. However if I ever go back I'd rather stay near the Saigon Opera House, a few blocks from District 1, it's a good location, nicer and quieter. 

1. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  2. District 1 (attraction)
  3. Saigon Opera House (attraction)

Adan

District 1 is considered as the western place for tourists. You can enjoy street foods and bars at Bùi Viện street. 

1. District 1 (attraction)
  2. Bùi Viện (attraction)

Teddy from New City, New York

I was staying at a hotel at Distt center 1 and morn at around 6.30 am when I went for a walk ,In broad daylight 2 guys on motorbike came and one of them tried to snatch the gold chain ,I was wearing. They were in speed and could not reach my chain. My T shirt was badly torn but my chain got saved.

I was lucky and I would say that Ho chi Min is a city where one has to be Very very careful with Money / wallet / purse / ornaments

District 1 is where almost everyone stays and where you have the majority of the hotels. but it's also very hectic.

I would advice you to take a hotel south of the river if you want things to be a little more quiet.

Amit from Seattle

District 1 has a myriad of places, in every price and quality metrics

a. InterContinental Asiana Saigon Hotel & Residences I have used repeatedly, frequency breeds habits.

b. I have occasioned Hotel Sofitel Saigon Plaza, but I find it a bit too upper crust in its benefits.

c. The Sunflowers Hotel and Sheraton Saigon Hotel And Towers are ok

d. In the Normal world any of the e&M work well. I spend a bit of my stay working and use the lobbies to meet  and that is not afforded as much. For a roof and bathroom they suffice.

The Back packers world has too many options and difficult to recommend one over another

Hoàng

Dear Salma,

District 1 is the center of Ho Chi Minh City, however, you can try District 3 it's more quiet. With the food in Saigon, there are many places, from street food to fancy restaurants. You can try "Pho Hung" on Nguyễn Trãi street - District 1, this restaurant is very well known in Pho.

1. District 1 (attraction)
  2. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  3. District 3 (attraction)
  4. Nguyễn Trãi (attraction)