Bas
Amsterdam

Ho Chi Minh City

Non touristy things to do in Ho Chi Minh

Any ideas to spend a week besides standard tourist things?

Jodi from Funchal

The single best non-touristy thing I can recommend is to take a heritage tour with Tim Doling. His website: http://www.historicvietnam.com/saigon-and-cholon-heritage-tours/

I've met him when I was in Ho Chi Minh City, and I've never met anyone with such a breadth of knowledge for the city. He's fluent in Vietnamese, and has done a staggering amount of research about all the buildings, districts, and old haunts. As the city changes -- fast, so fast -- he's a great person to spend an afternoon with, since he can explain how it was during colonial times, and where it's heading now.

You won't see the city the same way after the tour, I promise.

1. Ho Chi Minh City (city)

Laura & Suzanne from Breda

Hi Bas,

We are going to do a cooking workshop in Ho Chi Minh City, at the Vietnam Cookery Center. Not a standard tourist thing, but really interesting! Vietnam Cookery Center - Cooking Class Saigon

1. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  2. Vietnam Cookery Center - Cooking Class Saigon (attraction)

Ann from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Ho Chi Minh City city is full of artistic coffee shops! Thousands! From a coffee shop deep in a maze of Vietnamese's road, to coffee shop that is build in an upper floor of an abandon place. You should definitely visit those coffee shop and try the traditional Vietnamese coffee.

1. Ho Chi Minh City (city)

Camille from San Francisco

Explore the Cu Chi Tunnels. It was a really interesting experience for me. 

1. Cu Chi Tunnels (attraction)