Valerie

Valerie from Los Angeles asked

What's the best neighborhood in Helsinki for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Helsinki and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Helsinki is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Helsinki

I stayed at the Original Sokos Hotel Albert. It was walking distance from everything - we walked as far north as the Linnanmäki amusement park ... maybe even a bit farther. It had a sauna and a humongous breakfast spread.

There were plenty of places to eat, lots of shopping, plenty of nightlife. And it's close to the trains and transit hub. You can also walk a bit east to catch a boat out to Suomenlinna.

And here's a fun blog post about Finland, in general.

1. Original Sokos Hotel Albert (hotel)
  2. Linnanmäki (attraction)
  3. Suomenlinna (neighborhood)
Christian from Hillerød

The so-called design-district is the nicest area, and a new hotel called Hotel Lilla Roberts is maybe a great option. Otherwise is the skyscraper Solo Sokos Hotel Torni a fun place with great views and a fine little roof top bar! Enjoy Helsinki and remember to visit the rock church Suomenlinna and the jugend-area of Eira!

1. Hotel Lilla Roberts (attraction)
  2. Solo Sokos Hotel Torni (hotel)
  3. Suomenlinna (neighborhood)
  4. Eira (attraction)
Asta from Helsinki

Dear Valerie,

Klaus K Hotel, Original Sokos Hotel Vaakuna, Helsinki.. there are many hotels in the centre. Hotel Kämp is the only 5 star hotel in Helsinki. To be close to the centre but to stay more or less in a "local´s" area try hotels in Hakaniemi. There is a market place and plenty of bars and restaurants in the neighbourhood.

Enjoy your stay in Helsinki!