Beverly
San Luis Obispo

Helsinki

Best time to go to Helsinki?

Planning a trip to Finland and I am dying to visit Helsinki! When do you think the best time to go will be (weather wise)? 

Annika from Ottawa

Hi Beverly! 

It really depends, there are major (and I mean MAJOR) differences between the seasons. I would avoid early spring (April) and late fall (past mid-September). My favourite time is June, July or August. The summer in Finland is very short, but it's very beautiful too :) If you are looking for the long summer nights, go in June or July, in August it will be too late. 

If you are looking for a totally different experience, try January ;) Although Helsinki doesn't really get a nice proper winter so I would head for north if you visit in January. 

John from Helsinki

Summer, no question about it. After the Midsummer public holiday (Saturday closest to June 24th), Finns go on vacation and hotel prices drop as business clients flood out of town. July is usually the best month. It hardly ever gets uncomfortably hot this far north.

Sini from Finland

Summer. To visit Helsinki, definitely August - people are back from holidays and the city is full of happenings of all kinds. Sometimes you get lucky other times of the year as well, http://erikoispaikoissa.wordpress.com/2013/11/13/how-to-spend-a-great-november-day-in-helsinki/

And definitely, it'd be quite exotic for a californian in the winter. The minus is that when it's cold people prefer staying inside and the city might feel quite dead.

Welcome!

Gaia from Chicago

Hi Beverly! :)

I went in late May and the city was perfect: sunny, cool, and full of locals gathered in gardens and parks. Definitely, skip the winter, unless you really like snow!

Ari from Tampere, Finland

Definitely best time to visit Helsinki in the summer months, June-August.

1. Helsinki (city)