Drive      Fly      Stay      Login    Signup

Long Island (New York)

General Travel

Health insurance for someone on the road 7-8 months of the year?

As a tour director/tour guide I am on the move from place to place for most of the year. Currently the tours take me to Alaska, Hawaii, and a lot of the western US states. As an independent contractor (usually) working for several different companies, health insurance is never offered to me through work. I have gone for years without health insurance... As the amount of work and my income level varies year to year, I have sometimes been eligible for Medicaid in my home state, but that doesn't cover me when I'm out of state, which is the majority of the year.

Does anyone have experience with or know of a good health insurance plan for someone like me? One where I would be covered wherever I travel domestically (majority of the time), as well as when I am home for a few months of the year?

Thanks for any suggestions or guidance.

4 Answers

answered by
Cristóbal from Puerto Morelos

Have you considered getting an AMEX credit card? Their traveler protection has no match. 

1 thankscomments (1)

answered by
Laura from Glasgow

Hi Ernst, we also recommend World Nomads Insurance. We always use them for our trips and we travel A LOT too! 

1 thanks

answered by
Michael from New Jersey

It all depends where you live, Health insurance is regulated by the states, you can get national planes to cover you anywhere. Having no coverage at all means that you have to pay the IRS when you do your taxes. Get a national Plan from a national company, Amerihealth ect. if you need an agent in New Jersey you can email me. 

1 thanks

answered first by

I traveled for 8 months and used As far I know it's the company with best reviews from travellers.

1 thanks

© 2019   ·   View: Full | Mobile

Follow us:        
Questions   ·   Destinations   ·   Drive   ·   Fly   ·   Airports   ·   Stay   ·   Search

Login   ·   FAQ   ·   About   ·   Feedback   ·   Privacy   ·   Terms