Tina
Philadelphia

Hawaii

Thinking of planning honeymoon in Hawaii - thoughts? Recommendations?

My fiance and I are thinking of planning our honeymoon to visit Hawaii - this seems like the best opportunity for us to visit. Any thoughts or recommendations on places to stay, things to see/visit, or places to eat? We enjoy hiking, the outdoors, food, and we also want to relax a bit after the wedding. Recommended islands to visit/most accessible islands to visit? 

The logistics of visiting Hawaii are a little bit complicated.  You either have to decide to spend all your time on one of the islands or you have to spend time getting from one island to another. 

There are two ways to do an all island type of visit.  One way is to fly from one island to another.  My sister did it that way.  The other way is to take a cruise which visits all the islands.  That's what I did - I took the Norwegian Cruise Line ship "Pride of America" which goes from Honolulu (Oahu); to Kahului (Maui) 2 days; Hilo (Hawaii); Kona (Hawaii); Nawiliwili (Kauai); and back to Disembark in Honolulu (Oahu).  The service on this ship isn't the best because they employ mostly workers from the US, so it isn't what I would consider a honeymoon type trip although it was adequate for my purposes.

If you decide to spend all your time on one island, I'd recommend either the Big Island (Hawaii) which has the Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park or else Maui which has the Haleakalā National Park  Both parks have plenty of hiking and outdoor activities, and I think both islands have nice places to stay and other things to do, and interesting restaurants.

Or you could fly to O'ahu and just spend your time there, visiting the WWII memorial and Pearl Harbor, having surfing lessons, and generally relaxing.

1. Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park (attraction)
  2. Haleakalā National Park (park)
  3. O'ahu (attraction)

Lisa

So. Deciding on what islands you want to visit is the first step. You can fly to most islands for less than $100 and less than 45 minutes. I am originally from Jersey but have made the flight to Hawaii more than 28 times in 18 years. If you're looking for a fast paced, urban environment, you'll likely choose O'ahu, known for Waikīkī Beach, Diamond Head State Monument and North Shore. If you want a middle of the road island where there is plenty of things to do and scenic beauty (and plentiful humpback whales from Dec-April), then go with Maui. If you want a full-stop, relaxation and peacefulness with a hippie vibe, go with Kaua'i. If you want to see the lava flowing, go to the The Big Island. It's all about personal choice. I personally would recommend against a cruise as I feel you need more time on each island to really fall in love with it--rather than six or eight hours at a port town to really Immerse yourself in Hawaiian culture. 

1. O'ahu (attraction)
  2. Waikīkī Beach (attraction)
  3. Diamond Head State Monument (attraction)
  4. North Shore (region)
  5. Maui (attraction)
  6. Kaua'i (attraction)
  7. The Big Island (island)

Kristi from Fresno

I have been to all the islands both via cruises and by island hopping.  

Depending upon how much time & budget you have to visit Hawaii, I would recommend visiting at least two islands. Especially coming from East Coast the flights are definitely longer and more costly than from here in CA where I live.   My favorite island is Kaua'iKauai as it is not as over-developed and crowded in places like MauiMaui & O'ahu.  Both Maui & Kauai offer lots of different types of activities and unique sights to see. 

On Kauai, I really love visiting Waimea Canyon, the Na Pali Coast, and on Maui visiting Haleakalā Visitors Center especially for the sunrise and even doing Maui Downhill Bicycle Tours.   

1. Kaua'i (attraction)
  2. Maui (attraction)
  3. Waimea Canyon (attraction)
  4. Na Pali Coast Hanalei Tours (attraction)
  5. Haleakalā Visitors Center (attraction)
  6. Maui Downhill Bicycle Tours (attraction)

Alicia from Austin

Maui has a great mix of beautiful beaches, pretty landscapes, drives, lots of activities, and waterfalls. Great restaurants & amazing hotels as well! I love the Road to Hana day trip. I also love Mama's Fish House Restaurant. A great hotel on the beach on Wailea Makena for relaxation. Definitely rent a car and drive around the whole island.

1. Maui (attraction)
  2. Hana (city)
  3. Mama's Fish House Restaurant (restaurant)
  4. Wailea Makena (city)