Evandro
Sao Paulo

Hawaii

Surfing / visiting Hawaii

My son (he's 21) plans to visit Hawaii for the first time, this November! It's the trip of his dreams, as he's an avid surfer, but not a pro though. Could you give me suggestions as to which island should he stay at, which are the best beaches for surfing, should he rent a car, places to stay, restaurants, sightseeing?

Pamela

The waves on the north shore of O'ahu are not for the weekend surfers. Especially Sunset Beach, Banzai Pipeline, Waimea Bay Beach Park during November. He may enjoy Haleiwa also on the north shore which tends to be more calm. Waves on the south shore are rolling and a lot of fun again, depending on the time of year. Stay clear of Mākaha Beach Park which is no place for a “haole” anytime of the year especially if he wants to surf.

1. O'ahu (attraction)
  2. Sunset Beach (attraction)
  3. Banzai Pipeline (attraction)
  4. Waimea Bay Beach Park (attraction)
  5. Haleiwa (city)
  6. Mākaha Beach Park (attraction)

Melanie

My top 3 recommended surfing beaches in Hawaii are Kaua'i, Maui and O'ahu.  For Sightseeing, I recommend taking some tours, because most of them include transportation, and it is better to be with a tour guide.

1. Kaua'i (attraction)
  2. Maui (attraction)
  3. O'ahu (attraction)

Chris from Maui

Avid, does that mean he can handle big waves?  Is he a shortboarder or longboarder?  Kaua'i and O'ahu's north shore have the best waves, though the other islands have fun spots too.  Maui is my home, and is the windiest, so not great for surfing (depending on the weather.) The Big Island has a bunch of fun spots too, but you'll likely be driving a lot depending on where you stay and which direction the swell comes in.  You've got a lot of questions there!

1. Kaua'i (attraction)
  2. O'ahu (attraction)
  3. Maui (attraction)
  4. The Big Island (island)