Ernst
Long Island (New York)

Hawaii

Reasonably priced restaurants for a group of 11

I'm looking for suggestions on restaurants to go to with a group I'm guiding from Europe.  I have not met them yet.  We start in Waikiki staying at the Coconut Waikiki, and will be walking or taking public transport from there.  In Kauai, we will stay at Courtyard by Marriott in Kapaa. I already have plans to go to Duke's in Lihue and possibly Kintaro in Kapaa.  Would love more suggestions for Kapaa. In Big Island, we are staying in condos in Waikoloa. Does anyone have suggestions there that aren't restaurants in hotels, or the Lava Lava Beach Club?  In Maui we are staying at the Royal Lahaina in Kaanapali.  I plan to go to Kimo's in Lahaina one night. Does anyone have suggestions in Kaanapali?

In Kauai and Big Island I will have a van to drive. In Waikiki and Maui we will be relying on public transportation.  From experience, clients on these tours often want to stay fairly close to our accommodations.  This will be a hiking tour, so we will be active during the day, and they will want to get cleaned up before going to eat someplace fairly local.

M from San Leandro

I would advise you avoid kintaro in Kapa'a. On Maui, go for Star Noodle or Hula Grill.

1. Star Noodle (restaurant)
  2. Hula Grill (restaurant)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Ernst!  Probably the best place for a group of 11 with pretty good food and variety in Kapaa is Olympic Cafe.  Some other good options are Bubba BurgersChicken in a Barrel and Mermaids Cafe, though the last three have more limited seating.  Kapa'a has a great food truck scene.  There are picnic tables outside of each one, and it's a fun way to eat with a group.  My favorites were BE Food Truck CaféLittle Greek Town, and Paco's Tacos.  Hope that helps and safe travels!

1. Kapaa (city)
  2. Olympic Cafe (restaurant)
  3. Bubba Burgers (restaurant)
  4. Chicken in a Barrel (attraction)
  5. Mermaids Cafe (restaurant)
  6. BE Food Truck Café (restaurant)
  7. Little Greek Town (restaurant)
  8. Paco's Tacos (restaurant)

Shaina from Hilton Head Island

In Kapaa, check out Kilauea Fish Market  and Mermaids Cafe

On the Big Island, Pueo's Osteria, LLC has excellent italian food and Banjy's Paradise Bar & Grill is great for big groups! 

1. Kapaa (city)
  2. Kilauea Fish Market (restaurant)
  3. Mermaids Cafe (restaurant)
  4. Pueo's Osteria, LLC (restaurant)
  5. Banjy's Paradise Bar & Grill (restaurant)

If you really want to impress them I would take them to Azure at the The Royal Hawaiian. The tasting menu there which wasn’t cheap but wasn’t “out of the question” expensive is beyond good and the restaurant itself is one of the most beautiful places I think I’ve ever seen. The Mai Tai Bar bar there is a great place for a before-dinner drink, too.

For a less expensive meal, try Arancino Di Mare. This place was so good the group I was with ate there four times in five days. Very reasonable Italian food that does not disappoint. It's not elegant, but they've got a huge area outside that can easily accommodate a big group.

1. Azure (restaurant)
  2. The Royal Hawaiian (hotel)
  3. Mai Tai Bar (attraction)
  4. Arancino Di Mare (restaurant)

Michael from San Diego

On O'ahu you can walk from you hotel down Kuhio Avenue to Marukame Udon, but get there early before the dinner rush, as the line wraps around the block the food is so good. Check the reviews for them on YELP

1. Marukame Udon (restaurant)