Ashley
Durham (North Carolina)

Hawaii, Waikoloa, Kailua Kona, Hilo

Honeymoon on Big Island: Outdoor activity, local culture experince

Mid-20-somethings honeymooning on the big island. Staying at Hilton Waikoloa Village, but we want to get out and explore the island. If I can get it or do it on the mainland, I'll save that for when I'm on the mainland. Daytime: hiking, rock climbing, outdoor activity. Interested in experiencing the local culture. Nighttime: high-quality restaurants for the evening, preferably not "family friendly." Not interested in clubbing, but would like suggestions for anywhere with a chill bar scene. Budget: ~$2000 entertainment/food 

Tony from Seattle

SEE LAVA.  Seriously, this is one of the coolest things that I've ever done and lava is almost always flowing somewhere on the Big Island.

Unfortunately, it's not always flowing in the same place, so your best bet is to check the "What's going on with the Lava?" page (managed by the park service):

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

Bring boots or hiking shoes (ideally ones that are a little beat up) - the lava can shred your boots a bit.  Also bring a flashlight/headlamp, as the best time to go might be in the evening.

I'm also a huge fan of Waipio Valley, a gorgeous valley with wild horses and a few hidden trails.  You need a 4WD to get to the bottom via the road, but you can walk it and often hitch a ride with friendly locals or tourists.

Kealakekua Bay is probably the best snorkeling on the big island.  Pretty and worth doing.

To have a maximally awesome experience, ask around to see if people are doing manta ray night dives/snorkels.  Swimming with critters than have 12 foot wingspans is a pretty epic experience.

1. Waipio Valley (attraction)
  2. Kealakekua Bay (attraction)