Jp
Bend

Havana

Any tips for traveling to Havana, Cuba in June (10-14 days)?

I am thinking about going on a trip for 10- 14 days in late June to Havana, Cuba. Any suggestions on places to stay, eat, see, etc? 

My budget for hotel is around $80-$100/night.

Any caveats or words of wisdom? 

Lyn from Manhattan Beach

Just returned from a fabulous trip to Cuba (April19).  One recommendation if available to you. 

You can only exchange your American dollars to CUCS at the airport or at hotels.  The exchange rate is the same.  

But, the commission for American dollars is 13%.  If you have euros or pounds, it is only 3%.  So if you have access to those currencies, you would be better off using them.

Having said that, nothing is very expensive in Cuba.

Absolutely fabulous and educational experience!

1. Cuba (country)

Pippo from Sorrento, Italy

I spent 15 amazing days in Cuba last January.

2 days in Havana, 5 in Playa Ancon (which is sort of undiscovered place in South Cuba few km from the enchanting Trinidad). I then moved to Cayo Guillermo for a relaxing 5 day beach and finally 4 day in Havana, before Flying back to Rome. There are Casas Particulares where you can pay 30$ per night and also have breakfast.  

1. Cuba (country)
  2. Havana (city)
  3. Playa Ancon (city)
  4. Cayo Guillermo (city)

Corinne from Sydney, Australia

Just a thought it's hot in late June. We traveled there with the kids in 2012 and blogged about our trip. You might want to read the post I did on eating in Cuba. As that post includes our Havana food recommendation La Guardia.

I have to agree with others stay at a Casa Particular. We stayed at Casa Colonial Yadilis y Joel loved it. Great hosts & location. Giving $ to the locals.

Jeff from Brooklyn, New York

HI JP,

First off, nice initials!  Second, you can use trip advisor for rooms, (I recommend the casa hilda y alejandro, ranked #5 of over 400!) places to eat, etc.  The reviews are pretty reliable.  If you are going for the beach, I can't help you.  If, however, you are going for culture: stay in either Vedado or Old Havana, and check out cubaabsolutely.com for happenings, concerts, etc.

Jeff P!

1. casa hilda y alejandro (hotel)
  2. Vedado (attraction)
  3. Old Havana (attraction)

Lyn from Manhattan Beach

One tip about currency.  You can exchange money at the airport or in hotels - same exchange rate.     If you have euros or British pounds, use those instead of dollars to exchange.  Using American dollars costs about 13% exchange rate.  Using euros or pounds is about 3%.  This is as of April 2015.  I just returned four days ago from a fabulous Cuba trip!

Bruno

Forget hotels. Stay at a "casa particular". Cheaper, safer, way more comfortable and with more privacy than people think, and a more real cuban experience. There're plenty of them. I would check the one Jeff suggested.

Tyler from Edmonton

Definitely check out El Floriditahttps://plus.google.com/105881694405991291149/about?gl=uk&hl=en

This is where Hemmingway used to drink. They have amazing mojitos that are unequal to all mojitos that you drank before and will drink after.

1. El Floridita (attraction)