Karan
New Delhi

Has anybody left a regular job to travel the world? Has it worked for you?

Thinking of taking a gap year for a RTW trip.

Teri from Austin (Texas)

Yes - however I had my own independent-location business when I decided to travel.  I worked a "regular job" for years and then started by own business, and then started traveling. I have now spent 5 years traveling without a "home" and love it, just recently setting up a home-base in the USA. I started a travel blog to document my journeys while on the road, BlueSkyTraveler.com,  that has now turned into a secondary business for me as a travel writer. Best leap of faith that I have ever taken. Travel has always been my passion and doing this full-time has been very personally fulfilling. I am glad that I did it after developing a skill-set in corporate America though as I am able to work independently utilizing these skills. Travel at any age though is an education to itself and I highly encourage it.

Crystal from Anchorage

Yes!

You have to save money and be good at budgeting the money that you have, but it's totally worth it. You can do things to save money along the way such as a work exchange with wwoof.org, helpx.net, or workaway.com. 

I don't know anything about your situation, so I don't know what kind of advise you are looking for, but I encourage you to take your gap year if you can!

Crystal, Travelers Toast

Sureka

Nope.. i love my job than Travel :p

Cam

I did it and loved it. Contrary to a previous respondent's suggestion. Once you've amassed enough work experience and it's highlighted on your resume most employers appreciate the fresh perspective you bring as they look at wold travel as a nod to diverse cultural awareness and a more open minded perspective/world view. That coupled with your previous work experience won't cost you anything when looking for a new job after you've completed your travels... If need be, justify it as taking some time to grow and explore the world from a different perspective.  I say if you can afford it... Go for it! 

I have been on the road since 1988, so sure you can do it mate.

I make a living from traveling the world and I am on the road 365 days a year and live out of hotel rooms, while earning a living as a freelancer in tourism along the road.

I have written my story down on this link: http://travellingclaus.com/i-have-been-a-global-nomad-since-1988/

Hope to see you on the road one day.

Mandy from Berlin

Just do it! :) Save up some money to be able to travel for a year. I'm traveling and working independently from wherever I go. It's possible. 
I always recommend "just do it", because it's a great experience, you will learn a lot (about the world and about yourself). And there's always a way to get back to work afterwards. Enjoy! :)

Gemma-Kathleen from Sydney, Australia

Myself and my fiance left Australia for 3 years to travel, we visited 40 countries and lived in London for a period of 2 years. It was daunting to leave our home and not have the security of work however it was the best experience of my life!!! We ended up contracting in London and had work the whole time we were there. By contracting for agencies we were able to take as much time off to travel in between jobs. I defiantly recommend to do it... you only live once!

Zachary from Medina, New York

I'm taking a month or so off of my job in a next few months here to travel to Japan and plan on backpacking and exploring the country. I'm using it as sort of a "trial" mode. If all goes well, I'd like to leave my job and travel for a few years, just working freelance and writing in a blog as I go.

1. Japan (country)

Liz from Austin (Texas)

I did in 1999/2000.  Interesting experience given the Y2K concern.  I quit my job and took 7 months to travel around the world.  It was amazing, and I learned so much by pushing myself out of my comfort zone.  I came back to work for the same company in a different location - and didn't miss a beat! 

Liz from Austin (Texas)

Liz from Austin (Texas)

Tina from Bainbridge Island

My brother did! He has been traveling for 2 years now. He turned his "regular job" as a photographer into a traveling job. There was a lot of advance planning. For example, he started by going to places that have warm climates so he didn't have to carry heavy clothes. After two years of travel by train, plane and automobile, he purchased a motorcycle and is now using that as his means of transportation. You can check out his blog to see where he is and how he decided to make that big life decision. www.markonabike.com