Peter
Bloomington (Indiana)

Harlem

Good, inexpensive restaurants

What are the good, relatively inexpensive restaurants in Harlem? They don't have to be any specific kind of cuisine -- just good, reasonably priced and memorable in one way or another.

Claudia from New York City

Hi Peter,

Though I live in New York City, I don't eat in Harlem often enough. There are two places that I would recommend which are both reasonably priced and memorable.

Go to the cozy and casual Lolo's Seafood Shack. Lolo's serves seafood with a Caribbean flair. Try the conch fritters or the Lolo's seafood boils. If you're there after 4 pm, get the rum punch as well. Alcoholic drinks are served after 4 pm at Lolo's.

The other is Sylvia's, one of the best places in Harlem for southern comfort food since 1962. I like the chicken and waffles. Go to Sylvia's for Sunday brunch if you like live gospel music.

1. Lolo's Seafood Shack (restaurant)
  2. Sylvia's (restaurant)