Sandra
Portland

Harlem

Cafes, Restaurants, Art, Getting to and From, Etc.

Second trip to NYC. Five days. West Village first time, staying in Harlem May.   Arriving at JFK, looks like we can take public transport to Jamaica Plain, then LIRR to Penn Station?  We will have access to express 2 from our rental.  Also, going over to NJ on Saturday 21st for our daughters body building competition.  Always looking for public transportation options.  Have Uber as well.

Marley from Ithaca

I would also suggest taking the air train from JFK and getting on the E or A trains to Manhattan.  Depending on where you are going in NJ, would suggest the Path which is very similar to subway - only goes to Hoboken, Jersey City and Newark mostly.

Love Red Rooster on 125 and Lenox!

1. Red Rooster (restaurant)

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello,

There are usually a dozen different options for getting across New York City. I think the easiest way is plugging in your point A and point B into Google Maps and searching for Transit directions. 

From my personal experience, I haven't taken the LIRR to get to Manhattan yet although it does look like an option. I usually just take the AirTrain to Jamaica and then transfer to the E to get to Manhattan. You can transfer to the 2 from the E. 

As for getting to New Jersey, it depends on where in New Jersey you are trying to get to. Hoboken? Newark? Jersey City? There are lots of different trains, but most of them are plugged into Google Maps, so I would just search on there. You can also adjust the time and date of the directions so you get more accurate results.

Happy travels!

Crystal, Traveler's Toast

1. New York City (city)
  2. New Jersey (attraction)

Eren from New York City

From Harlem you can take train to Port Authority and get the bus to New Jersey. Also plenty of good restaurants in Harlem on restaurant  row from 125th street to 110th street