Hanoi

What's the best neighborhood in Hanoi for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Hanoi and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Hanoi is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

David

It is suggested to stay at a hotel in Hanoi Old Quarter. From here, you can easily go to the famous destinations in Hanoi such as Hoan Kiem Lake, Temple of Literature and Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum. This is also the residential place of many locals, so taking with them will help you to understand more about Hanoi.

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Hoan Kiem Lake (attraction)
  3. Temple of Literature (attraction)
  4. Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum (attraction)

Mary

You should choose a hotel in Hanoi Old Quarter such as Hotel hanoiMaison D'Hanoi Boutique Hotel

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Hotel hanoi (hotel)
  3. Maison D'Hanoi Boutique Hotel (hotel)

Ha Long is great ideal for you! Good luck!

1. Ha Long (city)

Linh

Hi! For your advices, I strongly recommend staying in hotels near Hanoi  Old Quarter if you want to experience the busy and always crazy life of local people, or near the West Lake for a very peaceful and quiet time (which is also near Hanoi Old Quarter). For average cost hotel near the Old Quarter, I suggest A25 Hotel – Lương Ngọc Quyếnstr. The room is cozy and nice, the price is average, the services are good, you can walk to Hoan Kiem LakeDong Xuan marketTemple of Literature and anywhere that's around Hanoi Old Quarter.

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. West Lake (attraction)
  3. Lương Ngọc Quyến (attraction)
  4. Hoan Kiem Lake (attraction)
  5. Dong Xuan market (restaurant)
  6. Temple of Literature (attraction)

Nga

You should stay at a hotel that nearby the Hanoi Old Quarter like Viet View Hotel Hanoi. It's a good hotel will offer you the local delicious foods of Vietnam and comfortable room that have a great view to the vibrant Hanoi. Then you can book a city tour to visit the peaceful and ancient Hanoi by cyclo and join night market at Hanoi Old Quarter. It's so amazing, i promise.

1. Hanoi Old Quarter (attraction)
  2. Viet View Hotel Hanoi (hotel)

Kimina from Hanoi

You should stay in the Old Quarter Cyclo Hotel, where is near sword lake. It is central, and focuses cultural features of Hanoi: cuisine, handy crafts, historical relics, traditional lifestyle... It is also the main entertainment and shopping site of Hanoi people, and easy to move to Temple of Literature, Van Mieu, Uncle Ho's mausoleum... You can visit the ancient house 87 Ma May street, the Cathedral (near Sword lake), taste Bia Hoi at Ta Hien street, Giang cafe and Lam cafe (since 1946) in Nguyen Huu Huan street, and many other street foods... all are inside the Old Quarter.

Some hotels for your choice:

- Elegance hotel, right inside the Old Quarter, 3 stars, good quality.

- Silk Path, Apricot, Boss Legend, also inside the Old Quarter, 4 stars.

- Metropole: 5 stars, a longstanding hotel, known as a legend.

1. Old Quarter Cyclo Hotel (attraction)
  2. Temple of Literature (attraction)

Julian from Australia

My experience is with Boss Legend Hotel at Hang Thung str (Hanoi Old Quarter), conveniently located. Quite nice hotel, nice, modern & spacy room & good buffet breakfast with small swimming pool. 

You can visit Bat Trang Ceramic Market & Vạn Phúc or Đường Lâm village, all are nice & interesting

1. Boss Legend Hotel (hotel)
  2. Bat Trang Ceramic Market (attraction)
  3. Vạn Phúc (attraction)
  4. Đường Lâm (attraction)

The Old Quarter! It's so much fun. I stayed at the Hanoi Rendezvous Hotel (It has more than one location - I was at the one on Hang Dieu) and thought it was great: reasonably priced, comfortable, clean, great staff.  Each room has a huge binder full of helpful information ... it will point you to some fun places and give some useful hints.

1. Hanoi Rendezvous Hotel (hotel)

Quinn from Hanoi

HI Katie,

My suggestion is Aquarius Legend Hotel which is located in the heart of the old quarter with very budget price range from $18 to $35 / room night including breakfast, internet usage and modern facilities. It only takes you no more than 3 mins to get to the Hoan Kiem lake aka the Sword Lake, 0 min to the old quarter ( as it is located in the old quarter :) ), 5 mins walking to the French Quarter where you can find some western building and stuff and heap of local restaurant, coffee shop ... and super market right next door. 

Or contact me to for help to get the better price : www.facebook.com/qu4ngkhun ; www.facebook.com/24htour

1. Aquarius Legend Hotel (attraction)