Serena
Philadelphia

Hanoi, Sa Pa

Safe to travel as a Chinese-American during political unrest?

The recent news about anti-China protests and violence in Vietnam is making me nervous about a trip that I have planned throughout SE Asia during the month of June. I'm travelling with a group of 5 other women, one of which is also Chinese-American like myself. I'm concerned that we will be targeted for random anti-Chinese acts of violence during our week-long stay in and around Hanoi and Sa Pa. Does anyone have any insights onto how the situation is going in this area? Any thoughts on how risk it is to travel here at the end of June? Much thanks. 

Update 5/28: So lately I've been hearing that conflict is intensifying in even touristy areas. Does anyone have any insight as to what the situation is like now?

An from Hanoi

You are safe. There were demonstrations last week but no one injured in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. Few were reported dead and injured in manufacturing factories in Bình Dương and Hà Tĩnh where are not travel destinations. No one could tell about the future but recent unrest had nothing to do with travellers.

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  3. Bình Dương (city)
  4. Hà Tĩnh (region)

I do not think you should worry.

First of all random protests are not allowed in Vietnam.

What has been seen in rencent days is organised by the government and they have no interest in foreign tourists being attacked as they rely heavily on tourism financially.

Secondly you have tens of thousands of chinese tourists coming to Hanoi every year, so you will just be one among many many chinese looking people.

China is by far the country that sends the most tourists to Vietnam and government have no interest in them getting harmed.

As long as you just make sure to stay away from any protest then you will be fine and like I said in the first place I am pretty sure that the recent protests have been staged by the government as a show piece to the world.