Charles
Minneapolis

Charles from Minneapolis asked

Best way to find a 3 month apartment rental?

I am landing in Hanoi on January 2, 2015 and will be staying for 3 months.

I am looking for an apartment for my stay that meets these requirements:

1. Tay Ho (West Lake) neighborhood
  2. 500 - 700 USD budget
  3. Fast Internet
  4. No roommates
  5. Cleaning and laundry service are a plus

I'm wondering the best way to go about finding a suitable apartment.  Should I have a real estate agent show me around to a few apartments when I arrive?  Are there any ways to avoid paying too much?  Are there any recommended agencies or apartments?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Hanoi

Karl from Ho Chi Minh City

You can try Hanoi Expats group on Facebook. You'll at least have some options for comparisons.  Someone may also be able to point you in the direction of an agent they have used.

If you're looking for 500-700 USD/month you should have not problem finding a nice apt that meets all of those requirements. 

Agents can be very helpful, I've not used one for a short term lease nor have I used one in Hanoi, so it's tough to say how much commission they're making. In HCMC they may get one month rent as a finders fee for a 12 month lease.

I would definitely sort out a few viewings before you arrive in Hanoi and see the property before you rent.