ronnie
Austin (Texas)

Hanoi, Vietnam

Best tips on visiting Hanoi?

I am planning to spend 2 weeks in Hanoi in March with the primary goal of learning to cook some of my favorite Vietnamese dishes. I've found a lot of info online regarding cooking classes. Also, I think I'll be staying in the Old Quarter. Does anyone have any tips for cooking schools and hotels? I'm trying to keep costs low. Thanks!

Teddy from New City, New York

I think you could book a hotel and learn cooking in there. The chef of hotel would help you. Thanks

Karl from Ho Chi Minh City

Blue Butterfly Cooking Class offers three dishes for 35 USD and customized courses. It's smaller than KOTO and less expensive than some of the others. However, Koto is a very cool concept helps disadvantaged youths so that extra money goes to a good cause.

For hotels the Rising Dragon Palace Hotel was recommended to me by a friend. We live in Ho Chi Minh City and travel frequently to Hanoi. It has a simple but good breakfast and comfy beds for about 30-35 USD on Agoda.com. 

1. Rising Dragon Palace Hotel (hotel)

Laura from Buenos Aires

I went there last january and I think two weeks in the Old Quartier would make me crazy! It's insane but is the heart of the city. I would stay in the french quartier, it's nearby the old quartier but is quieter. 

Aren't you going to Halong Bay Vietnam? It's wonderful

1. Halong Bay Vietnam (attraction)

Linh

Hi! I think the best way for you to learn how to cook with low costs is to homestay with a local family, or visit them frequently, and they will be very glad to teach you many very-vietnamese dishes. 

Nga

1. Hanoi (city)

Diep from Thuy Anh, Thái Bình, Vietnam

Vietnam is a wonderful place in SEA. You can homestay at local people when visiting Hoi An and mekong delta Hoian and Mekong Delta. Renting a motorbike to travel outsides of Hanoi is a good idea for you. You can read more tips at: https://www.vietnamtravel.co/

1. Hoi An (city)

Take extra luggage. The best shopping is in Vietnam. Pearls, Jade, bracelets, earrings, purses, and massages. They use everything when they cook. Beware the Beka squid.

Teddy from New City, New York

I can say that probably the only real danger for one visiting Hanoi is the traffic. Big city, lots of cars and scooters, poor infrastructure, terrible driving rules and habits making it nightmare for the pedestrian who just want to get around the city. No way in Hanoi, the city streets are made for scooters, as well as the pavements. The rule is simple, the big one first, so don’t try to be wise, as a pedestrian you are last in line.
PS: Red lights and stop signs are just recommendations, cars might stop to those, scooters rarely. Also I believe in Vietnam you should drive on the right side, but scooters riders do not know this rule or do not care, they ride all directions at once.

Steve from Honolulu, Hawaii

try airbnb.