Hanoi

Best free things to do in Hanoi?

I'm going to be in Hanoi next month and will be on a pretty tight budget. I'm looking for the best free and inexpensive things to check out! I love the outdoors, art, museums, you name it. Thanks!

Nga

You can walk around the Hoan Kiem Lake, explore the cuisine in Hanoi Old Quarter, it's much cheaper and visit One Pilar PagodaNgoc Son TempleNational Museum of Vietnamese HistoryVietnam Museum of Ethnology ... It will give you the total view of Vietnam and Hanoi history and culture. 

1. Hoan Kiem Lake (attraction)
  2. Hanoi Old Quarter (attraction)
  3. One Pilar Pagoda (attraction)
  4. Ngoc Son Temple (attraction)
  5. National Museum of Vietnamese History (attraction)
  6. Vietnam Museum of Ethnology (attraction)

The best, nearly free, thing to do in Hanoi is check out the street food.  It is amazing!  Wander around the wide walking sidewalks around Hoan Kiem Lake.  There are usually wedding photos being taken, and the people watching is fantastic.  It's also free to wander around the stalls in the Hanoi Night Market.

1. Hoan Kiem Lake (attraction)
  2. Hanoi Night Market (attraction)

Anthony from Vancouver

You don't need to hunt around for free everything in Vietnam is very cheap!  If you're into war history or you have military people in your family, you must check out the amazing Vietnam Military History Museum where you can see gathered wreckage of shot down US planes and the personal effects of captured USAF pilots, and all sorts of other captured "American Imperialist" military equipment. You can also visit the wreckage of one of the 4 shot down US B-52 bombers left them exactly where they crashed when they were blown out of the sky in 1972.  Also not to be missed is the famous Hoa Lo Prison "Maison Central" otherwise known in the American culture as the "Hanoi Hilton" where American POWs were imprisoned.  But yeah if that's not your thing then check out the Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre

1. Vietnam Military History Museum (attraction)
  2. Hoa Lo Prison (attraction)
  3. Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre (attraction)

Hana from La Canada

You can book a free tour to walk around Hanoi Old Quarter  and eat delicious food here.

1. Hanoi Old Quarter (attraction)

Diep from Thuy Anh, Thái Bình, Vietnam

In Hanoi you can book a free tour to travel around with Hanoi Free City Tour or somethings like that. You should stay at Hanoi Old Quarter where you can easy to travel around by foot. Furthermore, taxi will the best choice for you but you should call Mai Linh taxi instead of catch on the road

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Hanoi Old Quarter (attraction)

Hana from La Canada

Walk around Old Quarter Centre HotelHoàn KiếmTây Hồ urban area. Besides, you spend time visit villages near Hanoi, for example, Lâm Du ancient village.

1. Old Quarter Centre Hotel (hotel)
  2. Hoàn Kiếm (metro area)
  3. Tây Hồ (metro area)
  4. Lâm Du (neighborhood)

Renate from San Francisco Bay Area

Hi, Katie,

I think just about everyone has mentioned Hoan Kiem Lake and I agree! The Turtle Tower in the middle of the lake is an incredibly picturesque structure, especially at night. And I agree, it is a treat to see the exercisers in the early morning walking around the lake.

The Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum has a free entrance fee and is a solemn and fascinating history lesson in the unflagging devotion of a country to its leader (regardless of how others may feel). I was surprised when I was asked to take off my hat and sunglasses and the fellow in front of me was told to take his hands out of his pockets. There are no photos allowed and you should arrive early. And, do not bring large bags or backpacks. But, these strict regulations notwithstanding, I highly recommend the experience.

Do sample the street food! The fruit is fresh and delicious and the grilled meats are incredible. Don't be dissuaded by naysayers or those fearful of exotic sicknesses. Just try it! It is inexpensive and delectable.

A Vietnamese coffee is always a wonderful treat as is Vietnamese beer (especially if you go during the warmer months).

I took a city tour of Hanoi a few years ago and wrote about it in my travel blog and hope you enjoy the story and, especially, your trip to Hanoi!

1. Hoan Kiem Lake (attraction)
  2. Turtle Tower (attraction)
  3. Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum (attraction)

Teddy from New City, New York

You should not miss Hanoi Old QuarterHanoi Old QuarterHoan Kiem LakeHo Chi Minh MuseumI knew a non profit organization .That can help you explore Hanoi : http://hanoifreewalkingtours.com/ Their volunteers was great. I hope it will be helpful for you

(p/s : Volunteers is free but you will pay foods , ticket .... if you go to with them .but it is not expensive )

1. Hanoi Old Quarter (attraction)
  2. Hoan Kiem Lake (attraction)
  3. Ho Chi Minh Museum (attraction)

Jennifer from Hoi An

Hi Katie, all above answers are things you should not miss out in Hanoi. Especially Hoan Kiem Lake (early morning or late afternoon), Old Quater (walking around and enjoy local food).

You can choose a tour from students as Ha Noi Free Tour or Ha Noi Kids.

Cheers

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Hoan Kiem Lake (attraction)

Quinn from Hanoi

Hi Katie as the local please check out my list for you

- The Backpackers Old Quarter : where you can explore ton of interesting things about local people life, cuisine and more

- The Hanoi Rose Hotel: Free entry locates on the Luong Ngoc Quyen Street where you can find heap of interesting picture about Hanoian and itseft

- The Night market: open daily but mostly crowded and interested at the weekend from Friday  - Sunday night

- The Hoan Kiem Lake - Sword Lake : the most beautiful lake of Hanoi (perfect for photo shot especially #SELFIE )
- The West Lake - West Lake: the biggest lake in Hanoi , very peaceful and quiet area.

And many more

Better check out this travel news site for more info:

http://www.vntravelnews.com/

Other Article you may like:

Top 20 Vietnamese foods visitors need to try : http://www.vntravelnews.com/top-20-vietnamese-foods-visitors-need-to-try-buzzfeed.html

Five most popular trends of Hanoi cafés: http://www.vntravelnews.com/five-most-popular-trends-of-hanoi-cafes.html

Need more help contact me : www.facebook.com/qu4ngkhun ; www.facebook.com/24htour / www.24htour.com

1. Backpackers Old Quarter (attraction)
  2. Hanoi Rose Hotel (hotel)
  3. Hoan Kiem Lake (attraction)
  4. West Lake (attraction)

Ricky from Sydney, Australia

Check out Hanoi Rock City for open mic night every Wednesday for a taste of some great music. It is in Tay Ho (Expat area). 

1. Hanoi Rock City (restaurant)

Quentin

Hello Katie. There are a lot of things you can do with a low budget:

- Attractions: Hoan Kiem LakeNgoc Son Temple. They will walk you through every corner of the old quarter without charging anything. 

- Food: street food in the Old Quarter (most of the street food are cheap). You can try things like bun cha, pho, nem ran, banh bao, banh ran

1. Hoan Kiem Lake (attraction)
  2. Ngoc Son Temple (attraction)

Vi

i visited Hanoi in 3 days. I booked Hanoi free walking tours. I had meaning time in Hanoi with free walking tours in Hanoi. They shared with me lots of information about street food, lifestyle, their history. If you tight budget, booking with free walking tours in Hanoi will a good choice.

1. Hanoi (city)

Son from Hanoi, Vietnam

I find Hanoi Old Quarter is interesting. There are many streets selling different kinds of goods. The food here is amazing and the price is not expensive. I am excited about "chè Hàng Bạc", "bánh cuốn Hàng Gà" and "bún chả Hàng Mành". 

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Old Quarter (metro area)

John

Don't forget the monument to John McCain's capture on the causeway on Trúc Bạch Lake.

1. Trúc Bạch Lake (attraction)

Naccy

I am staying in Hanoi and find it interesting to walk around Hanoi Old Quarter and Hoan Kiem Lake.

1. Hanoi (city)
  2. Hanoi Old Quarter (attraction)
  3. Hoan Kiem Lake (attraction)