Columbus

Hamburg, Berlin, Leipzig, Dresden, Prague

Must-see spots during cross country Germany and Czech Republic trip

My friends and I are hashing out the details to our Germany and Czech Republic trip for early next summer!  We're starting up north and working our way down south  Here's whats on the itinerary:

• Hamburg -- 3 days
  • Berlin -- 3 days
  • Leipzig -- 3 days
  • Dresden -- 3 days
  • Prague -- 4 days

We'll most likely take trains from city to city since my experience has been that public transportation is pretty good there, but if anyone has any other suggestions, we'd love to hear.

Also, we'd love recommendations on what to do, see, and eat in those cities!  The group will be three guys and two girls in our late 20s - 30s.  This is a big trip so we're a little budget conscious, but if something's worth the money, we'll splurge!  Thanks!

Mandy from Berlin

That's a great route! I am originally from Dresden and live in Berlin nowadays. 

About  Berlin me and other travelers already wrote some ideas here: 
I am going to Berlin in a couple of weeks, any suggestion of places that I must visit?
(also search for other questions about Berlin on Trippy and you will find some great suggestions).

Leipzig is a beautiful city, it is quite small and you can walk around easily. There's a Beer Exchange is taking place at the Alte Messe in July, this could be fun. ;)

Dresden is beautiful in summer, especially the district  Dresden-Neustadt is great, lots of bars and nice places to hang out. A nice post: 48 Hours in Dresden.

Transportation: Instead of taking the train (which is pretty expensive) you could take long distance busses which become more and more popular for traveling in Germany.

Unfortunately all their websites are in German only. Here a link to a "search engine" which checks all available providers and lists the prices: http://www.busliniensuche.de/ 

Enjoy your trip! 

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Leipzig (city)
  3. Alte Messe (attraction)
  4. Dresden (city)
  5. Dresden-Neustadt (attraction)

Todd from Boston

When in Prague I highly recommend you drink at  Sidedoor it's located at Korunovační 4 in Praha 7 near Letna Park. The vibe is laid back and the drinks are cheap. It's a cool, low key spot. I also suggest checking out  Cross Club located at Plynární 1096/23, 170 00 Prague 7-Holešovice. It's easily the coolest bar I've ever been to. The entire inside is covered in metal sculptures and lights. It's decently priced, but just being inside is cool enough.

For food, spend a bit extra and have the most amazing, authentic Czech food at  Kozlovna Apropos it's located at Krizovnicka 4 Praha 1. This restaurant/ bar has the best beer I've ever had; Kozel. Keep in mind Czech food is very meat and dumpling heavy, not the greatest city for vegetarians. Typically, if you walk around a bit, away from the tourist centers like Old Town Square you'll find good deals on three course prix fix meals all over the place. 

For things to see, I suggest heading up to the castle, you don't need to go inside but just looking out over the city is breathtaking.  

1. Sidedoor (attraction)
  2. Cross Club (attraction)
  3. Kozlovna Apropos (restaurant)

Chris from Boulder

Sounds like an awesome trip. I don't know all the towns, but I lived in  Leipzig for a while and loved it. When you are there I would stop and check out  Markkleeberg and go to the  Cospudener See which will be awesome in the summer. Stop by the  Völkerschlachtdenkmal in Leipzing for some awesome history and then hit up the city center. Stop by the  Thomaskirche to say hello to Bach in his resting place and then hit up  Connewitz in the evening for some local art and music scenes. Hope these help. Enjoy!

1. Leipzig (city)
  2. Markkleeberg (city)
  3. Cospudener See (attraction)
  4. Völkerschlachtdenkmal (attraction)
  5. Thomaskirche (attraction)
  6. Connewitz (attraction)