Gareth
Hong Kong

Ha Long Bay

Recommended Tours?

It looks like organizing a trip out in Ha Long Bay independently could be a little complicated. Can anyone recommend any tour companies they had good experiences with? I keep hearing about bad ones, or outright scams, so hoping for some help from someone with a good experience!!!

MASSIVE THANKS!

Gina from Minneapolis

Handspan is really good, and they put an emphasis on sustainable travel. Not bottom-of-the-barrel pricing, but certainly not extravagant, either. 

Chiara from San Francisco

Hi Gareth,

We chose Paloma Cruise they organize the pick up at your hotel and the drop off (Old Quarter only). The drive takes around three hours. It’s a smaller boat and we liked that. They offer a variety of activities: kayaking, swimming, a visit to fishermen village and a cooking class.

I recommend two nights if you have the time and budget (we were the only ones). The second day they transfer you to a smaller boat while the rest of the people are visiting the fishermen village and they take you to a secluded beach and prepare lunch for you on the beach. Unreal. The crew set up a table for us on the shore, cooked and served us. Hero (our guide for the day) took good care of us and spoiled us with flower creations on the plate. All this for a really modest price. In the afternoon they take you back to the main boat to join the rest of the group. Activities highlight: at the fishermen village (scheduled for the last day) you get transferred to small local boats that take you around the bay and back to the main platform. Please leave a tip for the fishermen before you leave. The last activity before check out is a cooking class. They will teach you how to make perfect spring rolls and the best will win a prize. You will eat your creations during brunch before leaving the boat.The food is delicious and it will fill you up (starter, two mains plus a side dish and dessert/fruit). I have never eaten so much in my life!

The food on the boat is delicious and it will fill you up (starter, two mains plus a side dish and dessert/fruit). I have never eaten so much in my life!

Visit my Travel Blog for more travel tips!

David

Setting up your own trip to Halong Bay is impossible. You NEED to do it with a company without a doubt..

If you're in your 20's I would stay at Backpackers Hotel in Hanoi and just book the trip with them. You'll have a blast :)

Marnie from Conflans-sur-Anille

Definitely. My husband and I went individually, and used Far East Tour, www.fareastour.com, Baya Legend 1, I think our boat was. We were delighted with everything : the meals, the sights, the guide especially

I have been several times on Victory Cruises and they are real fine.

Not the cheapest though as they are fairly upscale, but really nice boats with good service.