Mike

Mike from New York City asked

Where to go in Greece for a week in July?

Hi All,

I am headed to Greece for a week early July and never been there. Any advice on where I should go (beaches, restaurants, etc.)? I'm looking for culture but also nature and relaxing scenery. Dunno if I should go to Athens or Corfu..will be flying out of Paris...thanks for any recommendations.

Cheers,

Mike

Greece

Anne from Durham, North Carolina

I would definitely start in Athens to visit the Parthenon and the new Museum. Spend some time walking around Plaka and then take a side trip to Cape Sounion. After maybe two days in Athens, board a small Greek cruise ship in Pireas to see some of the islands. Most will stop at Rhodes, Crete, Mykonos and Santorini before heading back to Athens. Good itinerary for first time to Greece. Be sure to find Obelix in Santorini for the best Gyros in Greece!

Mike
Thanks Anne, pretty good advice. Would you recommend going straight to Santorini after Athens?

Anne
I would definitely hit some of the other islands on the way to Santorini. What kind of things do you enjoy doing? Beaches at Santorini are rocky. Mykonos, Rhodes are more sandy.

1. Athens (city)
  2. Parthenon (attraction)
  3. Cape Sounion (attraction)
  4. Pireas (attraction)
  5. Rhodes (city)
  6. Crete (attraction)
  7. Mykonos (city)
  8. Santorini (island)
Liv from Cape Cod

I wasn't a huge fan of Athens, I think you should get out to the islands like Santorini or Mykonos. They are so beautiful. I would vote Mykonos over Santorini if you had to choose. Not sure what you want to get out of the trip (relaxing, partying, etc) but there is a bigger party scene on Mykonos and Santorini is a little more relaxed. 

Mike
Thanks Liz, wil definitely explore the islands and spend time outside of Athens and head to Santorini and Mykonos. I also hear Crete is great so will give it a shot.

1. Athens (city)
  2. Santorini (island)
  3. Mykonos (city)
  4. Mykonos (city)
  5. Santorini (island)
John

Sounio is a great visit as is the Parthenon and the entire southern part of the cite starting from Glyfada and moving down the coast to Lagonisi.

A great beach to visit is Yabanaki and it has free parking but it gets pretty busy on the weekends.

1. Sounio (city)
  2. Parthenon (attraction)
  3. Glyfada (city)
  4. Lagonisi (city)
  5. Yabanaki (hotel)
Justina

The places I recommend to visit are: Cape Sounio Grecotel Exclusive ResortThessaloniki, and Zagori. These places are truly amazing!

1. Cape Sounio Grecotel Exclusive Resort (attraction)
  2. Thessaloniki (city)
  3. Zagori (attraction)
Garry from Germany

Corfu is a great place to relax, especially after a few day in Athens. The island offers beautiful beaches, great landscapes and a lot of great places to visit.

1. Corfu (city)