Mike

Greece

Where to go in Greece for a week in July?

Hi All,

I am headed to Greece for a week early July and never been there. Any advice on where I should go (beaches, restaurants, etc.)? I'm looking for culture but also nature and relaxing scenery. Dunno if I should go to Athens or Corfu..will be flying out of Paris...thanks for any recommendations.

Cheers,

Mike

Anne from Durham, North Carolina

I would definitely start in Athens to visit the Parthenon and the new Museum. Spend some time walking around Plaka and then take a side trip to Cape Sounion. After maybe two days in Athens, board a small Greek cruise ship in Pireas to see some of the islands. Most will stop at Rhodes, Crete, Mykonos and Santorini before heading back to Athens. Good itinerary for first time to Greece. Be sure to find Obelix in Santorini for the best Gyros in Greece!

1. Athens (city)
  2. Parthenon (attraction)
  3. Cape Sounion (attraction)
  4. Pireas (attraction)
  5. Rhodes (city)
  6. Crete (attraction)
  7. Mykonos (city)
  8. Santorini (island)

Hello Mike!  I think a requisite stay in Athens is important to merely get a feel for  ancient Greek culture.  In my opinion, you should " bookend" these travels as I am assuming you will be flying in and out of Athens.  From there, it really depends on preference.  In Athens, I really enjoy the Plaka area.  We developed an unhealthy love for Retsina and Ouzo at and had great meals at Platanos Taverna.  Most people head for the islands, and I can hardly blame them.  Santorini, and in particular, Oia are fantastic. There are better " party islands" , but several stays in Oia, removed, yet close to bars and restaurants,  is some good living!  I really enjoyed some time driving around Crete, but stayed in Heraklion, which I would not do again.  Look to places like Chania instead.  One my favorite places (need to go with Jacey! ) is the Peloponnesia.  My cousin and I really enjoyed ΝαύπλιοTirynsArgos. This is all right around the Epidaurus Theatre, with really cool acoustics and many ruins.  We got lost on a few mountain roads and came upon some beautiful mountain vistas, small villages, Temple of Apollo at Bassae before arriving in Olympia. Also really enjoyed a day trip up to Kalavryta on the narrow gauge train.  Interesting WW2 history associated here as well.  In my opinion, the Peloponnesia is a very overlooked destination.  Enjoy Greece and safe travels!

1. Plaka (neighborhood)
  2. Platanos Taverna (attraction)
  3. Santorini (island)
  4. Oia (city)
  5. Crete (attraction)
  6. Heraklion (city)
  7. Chania (attraction)
  8. Peloponnesia (attraction)
  9. Ναύπλιο (attraction)
  10. Tiryns (attraction)
  11. Argos (city)
  12. Epidaurus Theatre (attraction)
  13. Olympia (attraction)
  14. Kalavryta (city)

Liv from Cape Cod

I wasn't a huge fan of Athens, I think you should get out to the islands like Santorini or Mykonos. They are so beautiful. I would vote Mykonos over Santorini if you had to choose. Not sure what you want to get out of the trip (relaxing, partying, etc) but there is a bigger party scene on Mykonos and Santorini is a little more relaxed. 

1. Athens (city)
  2. Santorini (island)
  3. Mykonos (city)

John

Sounio is a great visit as is the Parthenon and the entire southern part of the cite starting from Glyfada and moving down the coast to Lagonisi.

A great beach to visit is Yabanaki and it has free parking but it gets pretty busy on the weekends.

1. Sounio (city)
  2. Parthenon (attraction)
  3. Glyfada (city)
  4. Lagonisi (attraction)
  5. Yabanaki (hotel)

Justina

The places I recommend to visit are: Cape Sounio Grecotel Exclusive ResortThessaloniki, and Zagori. These places are truly amazing!

1. Cape Sounio Grecotel Exclusive Resort (attraction)
  2. Thessaloniki (city)
  3. Zagori (attraction)

Garry from Germany

Corfu is a great place to relax, especially after a few day in Athens. The island offers beautiful beaches, great landscapes and a lot of great places to visit.

1. Corfu (city)