Lise
Huntsville

Greece

To cruise or not to

I have a girlfriend that wants to travel to Greece in the near future but she is not as fit to walk and go like I do. I know there are many cruises you can take but you are limited on where they stop and the amount of time at each place. How does one get around to all the islands if you are not on a cruise ship? We would want to see all the beautiful places I have seen mentioned before like Santorini and Corfu. This would be a 10 day trip going when it is not hot (we both hate the heat) and would need to stay in a hotel that has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Do you have to do a lot of walking and climbing steps to see all of these places? I can handle it but she may not be able to unless she can get in shape before we go. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

When you have limited mobility, a cruise can be a good option, as most cruise ships are geared towards people with limited mobility. I would suggest taking a cruise ship that is not too big, as this means less waiting when boarding and disembarking the ship. And I would recommend the months of April or October, if you do not like hot climate, but still want reasonable sailing conditions.

Mila from Seoul
Yes, I think it will be better cruise trip

Mary from Leicester
>How does one get around to all the islands if you are not on a cruise ship?
There are 6000 Greek islands, many of which are inhabited, and you are simply not going to see them all in 10 days, with or without a cruise.....nor are you going to see more than a fraction of the 'beautiful laces' you've seen mentioned. With such a short amount of time I suggest you concentrate on visiting just two or three islands. 
The largest and most popular islands e.g. SantoriniCorfuKosKefalonia  have international airports and others have airports with domestic flights from e.g. Athens. You can see from the map that Santorini and Corfu are a very long way from each other so flying between them, probably via Athens, is the best option: the alternative is a long road journey across the mainland. Flight frequency varies according to the time of year but you can get a rough idea of routes, flight times and costs if you look at www.skyscanner.net Make sure you book directly on the airline's own website.
The vast majority of the inhabited islands also have a ferry service to other islands and almost all have a daily service to mainland ports such as Piraeus and Thessaloniki.  Services vary according to time of year and, depending on route, you may need an overnight stay on an intervening island. NB There are no ferries from the west coast islands (Kefalonia, Zakynthos, Corfu) to the Aegean islands (e.g. Santorini, Mykonos, Crete).
This page has lots of useful information about the island ferries:
https://santorinidave.com/greek-ferries
I suggest you decide exactly which 2 or 3 islands you want to visit on this trip and then work out the travel logistics. For such a short trip it makes sense to stick with one group of islands e.g. Corfu plus Zakynthos and/or Kefalonia or Santorini plus Paros and/or Naxos.

1. Santorini (island)
  2. Corfu (city)
  3. Kos (city)
  4. Kefalonia (attraction)
  5. Athens (city)
  6. Piraeus (city)
  7. Thessaloniki (city)

Mary from Leicester
>would need to stay in a hotel that has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
Greece has been catering for its visitors for many, many decades. You will have no more difficulty finding en suite rooms (rooms with their own bathrooms) than in any other EU country. They are the norm in 3*+ hotels and common even in 2* hotels. Look at reliable and long-established sites such as www.booking.com to see what accommodation is available in a specific location.
>Do you have to do a lot of walking and climbing steps to see all of these paces?
Obviously that depends on where you go and what you want to see. Greece has safe public transport (buses on the islands), there are taxis and organised day trips and it's entirely possible to explore many locations without having to walk a lot. Until you decide which places it's impossible to be more specific about what non-walking options are available.
If you do go to Santorini please don't be tempted to have a donkey ride up the steps: it is, frankly, cruel and especially so if people are overweight. Use the cable car instead.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/apr/02/tourists-avoid-riding-donkeys-santorini-steps
I suggest you urge your friend to 'get into shape' before your trip so you don't have to worry about her walking ability. If she isn't willing to do so then there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't see what you want while she waits somewhere in the shade with a drink. That's what friends do. :-)

1. Santorini (island)