Kristina

Kristina from Los Angeles asked

First timer! Where should I go & should I travel outside of Greece?

Hi Trippy family! 

I would like to go to Greece this year with my parents for my fathers birthday. What are a couple of your favorite cities that we must visit that are good for family and young adults? And the best time to visit? We all love the ocean and great food so recommendations for that would be much appreciated too :)

Also, I was thinking about leaving my family after Greece and going on a solo travel adventure to one of the close countries like Croatia. Is that a good idea? Any recommendations of trains from Greece to Croatia would be much appreciated! 

Thank you!

Greece   Croatia

Pinay Flying from Maryland

As much as I love the islands of Greece, it may be a little bit too touristy specially if you're going between June to August. I usually go during September, not as crowded (and as expensive) but you still get to enjoy a perfect weather.

Meteora is a favorite from the mainland, it's the monastery built on top of the mountain rocks. We stayed in Kalambaka where we were surrounded by these awesome scenery. Parga, Lefkada, Corfu and Crete are also great.

Santorini and Mykonos are both good too specially for first time Greece visitors but as mentioned, it can get a little too touristy.

Sally from Searcy, Arkansas

I preferred the Greek Isles over actual Greece. If you're with your parents go to Oia in Santorini, absolutely breath taking scenery. It's a very calm town though so if you want night life you can take a bus (15 min ride) to the town next to it called Φηρά (Fira)Mykonos is another island you HAVE to visit... Maybe not with you parents though. Biggest party island ever, I had the time of my life! There is always a day party on Paradise Beach and then night life is out of this world!! Paros is another great island to visit too! If you visit Athens though, make a point to see the Acropolis of Athens and the Parthenon. I went in July- so many people visiting the islands at that time and the weather was great for getting a tan! Hope this helps some, good luck!

1. Oia (city)
  2. Φηρά (Fira) (attraction)
  3. Mykonos (city)
  4. Paros (attraction)
  5. Athens (city)
  6. Acropolis of Athens (attraction)
  7. Parthenon (attraction)
TL from Chiang Mai

How does anyone go to Greece for the first time and not see the  Acropolis of Athens and the Parthenon? And a visit to the Archeological Museum! I went to those three places and they were wonderful experiences. I went back to the Archeological Museum a second time because I couldn't get enough. Three or four days in Athens will keep you interested. It will give you a taste of contemporary Greek life just walking around. Then head to the islands. I visited during the low season, during early February. Cold but better than dealing with throngs of tourists. 

1. Acropolis of Athens (attraction)
  2. Parthenon (attraction)
  3. Athens (city)
Valerie from Los Angeles

I agree with Sally in that I enjoyed the Greek Islands more than the mainland. 

Mykonos was my favorite island, followed by Santorini. Yes, Mykonos is a party island but I found it incredibly serene too! I met so many awesome people on these islands. The locals were so welcoming!

I would say go towards the end of July through August. The Mediterranean gets warmer in these months. I was really surprised how cold the water was was when I went in the first part of June. 

1. Mykonos (city)
  2. Santorini (island)