Amanda
Bryan, Tx

Great Britian

Itinerary Help please - mid August - mid Nov

My husband, son, and I plan to spend mid-August through mid-November in Great Britain. We would like to choose 3 destinations (1 month in each place), starting in Scotland and move south as the weather gets cooler in the fall. We have only been to London in Great Britain, so we feel pretty lost on where to choose. Seeing fall colors, hiking (and generally spending time outdoors) is a must for us, as is good internet for work, and availability of fresh meat and produce. 

Off the top of my head, starting in Edinburgh makes the most sense, then heading to either the Lakes District in England or somewhere in Ireland, then making a lovely college town, like Cambridge, our last stop. 

A friend mentioned St. Andrews in lieu of Edinburgh, which sounds appealing. Otherwise, I'm lost and would very much appreciate any input you all have. Thank you in advance! 

Dabs from Chicago

August-Sept in Scotland is amazing, just be forewarned that Edinburgh has many festivals going on including the Festival Fringe and the Military Tattoo and while that is great entertainment wise it also drives prices up for lodging and makes the city very crowded.  You don't mention how you plan on getting around, I've relied on public transport once and have rented a car twice, obviously you need to take into consideration transport links should you be opting not to rent a car.  I didn't love St Andrews but you've got a friend who knows you that has recommended it.

1. Edinburgh (city)
  2. St Andrews (city)